Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Hypothetical Question

You are in a semi-loose/aggressive 15/30 game, with a semi-maniac who has the playing ability to go on winning streaks that allows him to cash out a 2K winner after only 4-6 hrs, in a loose/aggressive game.

He will call down to see the river card if he has 2 overcards to the board. He will chase backdoor flush or str8 draws, even when it is not the nut.

You have been unable to move to another seat, therefore, you are sitting 2 seats to his right.

Everyone folds to you on the button, a rare event. The maniac is on the big blind. What is the minimum pocket pair you will open/raise with, if the SB is weak-tight and will not call with anything less than those hands in Group 1&2?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question

Old 10-16-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I made a big mistake in failing to ask that you provide your reasoning behind your position.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:12 PM

55, maybe 66. If he plays aggressively after the flop, he's going to put you to the test a lot of the time, and I don't really feel like going to showdown on 100% of boards, but you almost have to.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:45 PM

You might want to read page pp. 197-98 of HPFAP (if you haven't already)..."When the Blinds are Very Loose". Although not a direct answer to your question...it gives some insight.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 AM

I have practically memorized this book. I thought that if Sklansky could give an unrealistic hypothetical question and get dozens of responses..........I might be able to give a realistic one and get at least 1 dozen.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:13 AM

Why 55/66?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to read page pp. 197-98 of HPFAP (if you haven't already)..."When the Blinds are Very Loose". Although not a direct answer to your question...it gives some insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So........how would you handle this maniac, when it came to pocket pairs? Which ones would you play and why?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:45 AM

My vote goes for something around 66-77. Reasoning is that this guy sounds like he'd play most wheel connector hands like 23s, 54o, etc. That way you could catch him with a pair and make some big bets off him more confidently.

The only reason I'm not saying 22-44 is because I personally find these hands hard to play again super LAGs. It's tough to say if they hit a pair or a draw or what. I don't want to end up going into calldown mode hoping he didn't hit his overcards.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 AM

depending on confidently he's playing and how good he's been running.

I would not play 22-44 against super lags, because even against them you will be 50/50 almost everytime and have no idea where you are in the hand since they could be on any two.

even 55-66 but they are a bit better since you will often find him holding an under.

22-44 i would just limp on the button and see the flop, its okay to limp on the button when the situation is correct to do so.