Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 AM

Default You gonna take the Over or the Under?

My wife is on this kick she calls "getting affairs in order".

We're young and healthy but she is pushing to get wills, living wills, etc. laid out. I don't have a problem with this but it is making both of us think about some things we have never considered.

So the question is: Over or Under?

Once you die that grizzly death fighting an 88 year old widow for a seat at the Euchre table because she is wielding a razor sharp Japanese ninja throwing star -- OR -- simply go to sleep and never wake up ...

Do you want to be buried in the traditional way (Under, embalmed and put in the ground) or do you want to be creamated (Over), or both?

I'm interested in why you choose one option or another. Or maybe there is an option I'm not even considering.

My current thought is to be creamated and have my ashes spread over my favorite place in the world which happens to be a deep canyon in the Gallatin Mountain range in Montana. Waterfalls, mountains, many critters, and very virgin land.

I suppose I could be both Over and Under. I'd be creamated and then have my ashes buried in the Cemetary next to my parents and grandparents. But I feel that if I'm gonna be reduced to ashes I might as well have them placed in beautiful place. It's not like that will make a snatch hair width of difference to me at that point ... but I like the thought while I'm still alive. And now I need to get those thoughts in writing.

I have never contemplated the Over/Under question before even though I had my mother creamated and then buried (in an Urn) as per her wishes.

Right now I'm not even considering the standard embalming/burial route. Maybe I should. And if so, why?

I'm working to sort things out here, thanks for any thoughts you offer.

And please don't bother with the pitcher/catcher references. It would be boring as well as a testament of your homophobia.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: You gonna take the Over or the Under?

Over. I love BBQ's.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Under. The thought of being burned just doesn't sound appealing to me. Also, I want to have a tombstone for my descendants and other family members to see. Lastly, I certainly don't want to end up on someone's mantle. That's just weird.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:34 AM

Being a cheapskate and knowing what formal burials cost, I will be cremated. I really don't care what happens after that. If my family wants to keep the urn in the living room, throw it off the back of a cruise ship or shoot it out of a cannon, I really don't care.

Why force your family to pay for a coffin, plot, embalming, etc. after you die. Your death will be traumatic enough (at least if you are not a total jackass) for your family so don't put any more of a financial burden on them by requesting a "Big Sendoff".
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM

If you want to do something useful, give it to science. That's my view. Someone may as well get some use out of my rotting carcass.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, I certainly don't want to end up on someone's mantle. That's just weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to end up on someones mantle, so that I can haunt the house and do kewl stuff like spy on the teenage daughter getting changed (hey I'm dead, what do I care if she's related?)

I hope that's how this death thing works, or I'm going to be really disappointed.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Did your wife recently read great expectations?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a cheapskate and knowing what formal burials cost, I will be cremated. I really don't care what happens after that. If my family wants to keep the urn in the living room, throw it off the back of a cruise ship or shoot it out of a cannon, I really don't care.

Why force your family to pay for a coffin, plot, embalming, etc. after you die. Your death will be traumatic enough (at least if you are not a total jackass) for your family so don't put any more of a financial burden on them by requesting a "Big Sendoff".

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did your wife recently read great expectations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, no. So I don't get the reference. This is the wife's deal, I'm just playing along.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you want to be buried in the traditional way (Under, embalmed and put in the ground) or do you want to be creamated (Over), or both?

[/ QUOTE ]
"I don't give a [censored]. I do not care. You know-you can, [censored], do whatever you want, man, I'm dead. I don't care...because I can't. At least get some use out of my body. Give to a bunch of necrophiliacs or something. Yeah, you can let them have a big circle jerk over me. I don't give a [censored], I'm not gonna take it personally, I'm not gonna be offended, you know? Sit there, have a big old party. Just [censored] me in the ass, [censored] me in the mouth, [censored] me in the eyehole, tthe earhole-make a new hole, [censored] me there!"