Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 04:51 AM

Default defending against small cont bets.

Occasionally, you find a person who seems to be betting into the flop 80-90% OOP, so before you have a chance, lets say we're not hitting our cards, and hes just betting potsize into the flop and being very aggressively.

do any of you make a table image of being tight'ish so that you can in a few hands later raise him with trash a few times and try to stop him from being so agg. or is it better to fly out the gate and raise him right away to get him guessing asap.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: defending against small cont bets.

Usually he'll just raise you again, which turns the hand into a drawn-out coin-flip sort of situation where the outcome depends on who hits their pair. These guys aren't playing poker; they are playing a mutated form of blackjack with 7 cards.

If you don't mind enduring the variance, running these guys down can be profitable, although I prefer to just tighten up a bit and wait. Use check-raises more liberally against them as well, since you know they'll be betting regardless.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 AM

if they're betting OOP you cant check raise them. I fire right back at them anytime I think i have the better hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if they're betting OOP you cant check raise them. I fire right back at them anytime I think i have the better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking to the more general issue of dealing with maniacs, but then I'm still eliminating my weak-tight tendencies as I transition from limit play.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 AM

patience is a virtue.