Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Earrings on small children

My wife just got our almost-two-year-old daughter's ears pierced today. In the past, I had made known my dislike for ear piercing on little kids, especially < 7-8 years old. And she mostly agreed with me. Then out of nowhere she calls me today and says "You'll probably be mad but..." Well yeah, I'm mad. Mostly because she went behind my back which is very out of character for her. Aside from that part of it, though, I still don't like it. I can't really articulate exactly why. Am I being dumb?

(I'm probably risking being banned with this topic. All I ask of [censored] is to consider that I very rarely start a thread, so please go easy on me.)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Earrings on small children

yes you have every right to be mad. Women who do this are basically turning their daughters into little dress up dolls. It's selfish and tacky.

point #2. Ok all I ask is that when you start a thread you put some real thought into starting a discussion, this clearly fits that criteria. You had an experience, shared it, provided your opinions and then requested other opinions. Thats's all it takes people, not every topic you start will be a hit, what counts is effort. For example of what doesn't fly see boxtree's uncle thread and then see his loc.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Are you sure your daughter didn't want them? When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

Also, I hope she had either a pediatrician or a major jewelry store do it. Those little kiosks in malls shouldn't be trusted with a small child
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes you have every right to be mad. Women who do this are basically turning their daughters into little dress up dolls. It's selfish and tacky.

point #2. Ok all I ask is that when you start a thread you put some real thought into starting a discussion, this clearly fits that criteria. You had an experience, shared it, provided your opinions and then requested other opinions. Thats's all it takes people, not every topic you start will be a hit, what counts is effort. For example of what doesn't fly see boxtree's uncle thread and then see his loc.

[/ QUOTE ]
*sniff* thanks man <wipes tears>
Old 10-12-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see the correllation between a 2 year old wanting her ears pierced and a 2 year old having her ears pierced.

there is a middle man in there somewhere, the two year old doesn't know how to operate the gun.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 AM

I agree with the original poster.

Not to hijack, but why would a pediatrician pierce ears? Its not rocket science, and that seems like wasting your/your insurers money.

Swab. Sharp object. Hypoallergenic metal.

OP--
Especially since you'd talked about it, I would be upset. In general it doesn't bother me a great deal, but like circumcision, its an unfair choice to make for an infant. Unlike circumcision, it doesn't really have any health/staying power redeeming qualities.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure your daughter didn't want them? When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

Also, I hope she had either a pediatrician or a major jewelry store do it. Those little kiosks in malls shouldn't be trusted with a small child

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife doesn't wear them and I've never heard my daughter so much as acknowledge the existence of earrings.
I don't know where the procedure was performed.
Oh, and the official reason was "I'm tired of people thinking she's a boy."
I think that's dumber than if she just said she wanted to do it.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When my sister was 2 she would whine all the time about not having "pretty ears like mommy"

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see the correllation between a 2 year old wanting her ears pierced and a 2 year old having her ears pierced.

there is a middle man in there somewhere, the two year old doesn't know how to operate the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have elaborated. I don't think its wrong for a 2 year old to have pierced ears, but you do, and she's your daughter, so you have every right to be upset with your wife.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:22 AM

I should clarify my OP. The part about my wife going behind my back - I guess I was just venting. I know it was a "dick move on her part."

The main intention of my post was to find out if I was in the minority in thinking the earrings in general on a 22 month-old are weird/inappropriate.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its wrong for a 2 year old to have pierced ears

[/ QUOTE ]
ahh i see, thank you.