Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM

Default JJ vs. Tight player

This guy was like 10/7 over 90 hands. I wanted to fold the river a whole lot, but I had to consider his position, so I called.

What do you do?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: JJ vs. Tight player

3-bet the flop, then consider calling down when/if he caps. I don't really like the C/C on the river. With the K falling, everything reasonable he'll 3-bet with has you beat and your read doesn't suggest his 3-bets are unreasonable.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM

With his likely range of hands after the 3-bet, that K on the river is a dagger. I would think 10/7 would 3-bet, AA-TT, AKs, AKo and AQs. So you split with JJ and beat AQ and lose to everything else. Even 99 (a less likely holding) beats you. So you are ahead of AQs (4 ways) and tied with JJ (1 way). You lose to AA-99 (24 ways), AK (12 ways). There are 36 hands you lose to and 4 you beat with one chop. The raise on the flop makes AQ less likely, unless they are both [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (and he may have taken the free card on the turn as well with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). Because of his play after the flop, I think I fold this river, but a call isn't terrible.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM

I was thinking of a similar hand range (which grayhawk nicely typed them out) and agree that the K means you now beat a very small number of hands and lose to most of them.

I can find a fold on the river here against this tight of a player.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy was like 10/7 ...

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am NOT capping preflop against this guy. VPIP 10? He doesn't even PLAY TT/99, much less 3-bet it preflop.

Let him have the last raise preflop, check-call the flop, and check-raise a safe turn, especially if you have a whiff of weak-tight. If he 3-bets the turn, call and bail out on a non-jack river. This way you're putting pressure on him when the bets are bigger.

An alternative line I might use is to 3-bet/call the flop and check/fold the turn, but if he doesn't cap the flop, bet out the turn.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Thanks gents...

and Ace would be the same kind of thing too I presume.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM

Since you're HU, I don't see that it matters, unless, like I said before, you've caught a whiff of weak-tight. Then I might bet a river ace, but I'd be more likely to chicken out.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 PM

An ace on the river would be even worse, but only slightly so. If he got a wild hair and 3 bet you with A-rag (highly unlikely, but it's possible), then you are screwed. I was playing live this weekend and a guy who had been tight and passive all of a sudden went nuts on the flop with a top pair of 9s. Sometimes people act out of character, but I wouldn't count on it!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:18 PM

Just call preflop. Either check/call the flop and bet/fold the turn or check/call the flop and turn and check/fold the river.

In this situation when you should rarely go for a flop check/raise. The only reason to (as I see it) is for metagame purposes. Use the check/call-bet line if you would also do it with good hands as well, say a set of tens in the hand you offer up.