Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Overpair v. Possible Straight/2pair on the Turn

This is an organized local home 10/20 HE game. There is only 8 us of left, as the evening is late. The majority of the posters here, who play on-line, would consider the players I am up against in this hand as semi-weak, conservatively loose, who play correctly after the flop. Tony, on the button, is the main villain.
4 people limp, the SB calls and I find Qs,Qd in the BB and raise, everyone calls. $95 in the pot, as this is a raked game.

Flop: Jc,Ts,5s

I bet, they all call except the SB. $145 in the pot.

Turn: [Jc,Ts,5s]9h

I bet, the first three call..and Tony, on the button raises.

$265 in the pot.

Now Tony is a smart player. He is 60ish and has been playing most of his life. He is willing to bet on the come. He would have to figure me for an overpair. He is on his A game this evening.
I could see him playing Q8s,JTo, or he could have flopped or turned a set. There are other possibilities also.
So.....I'm sitting here with an overpair and an 6 outer open ended str8 draw, as you know someone has spades.
I figure that my correct play is to re-raise, to charge max price to anyone drawing, in case Tony is drawing. 2 bets is what I'll have to pay to see the river. If Tony has the str8 he'll cap it. Otherwise, he will only call. His calling will not mean I'm ahead though, as he would only call with two pair. So, I struggle with the idea of re-raising.
If I re-raise, I am guaranteed to get anyone with a gutshot or the idiot's end of a str8 draw to fold. The flush draw is cemented to the hand, unless it's low.

So.....how would you play it?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Overpair v. Possible Straight/2pair on the Turn

The only hand I see me raising with, if I was Tony on the button, that you would still have me beat, is the:
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So.......do you feel lucky?