Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Play this flop for me

First orbit of Party's SUper Monday.

Everyone involved starts with around 1000 chips.

I open raise with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from 4 off the button. Guy on my left cold calls and the guy on his left raises to 150. FOlded back to me and I call. 3rd player folds and we're heads up to the flop of

T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What line would you take?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Play this flop for me

I think I would check/call this for any moderate sized bet. Leading out is asking for a reraise and I think given his preflop raise I'd be hoping to hit my straight because although there is a chance you're ahead, I'd take my chances on the turn with my straight draw and overpair vs. a potential AK/clubs sucking out.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:50 PM

I lead so If raised I can 3 bet all in.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM

I like this line, but i don't know what to do if i am called and an ace, king or club comes out on the turn. I suck at playing the turn....
Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 PM

pot the flop, if raised, re-raise all in. with stacks so short take the lead and risk to accumulate a stack early.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM

What was your original raise? 45?

Anyway I suspect I would check raise. A large % of players will bet a missed AK here, or some other crap, and ok if they have KK and you get called its not the end of the world as you will win about 38% of the time.

Betting out is okay but not for the reasons mentioned above. The plan of betting out and then 3 betting allin seems relatively pointless to me. The stacks are too shallow, and its very unlikely you will be raised by a hand that will fold to an allin. The only purpose for betting out to me is to make AK fold and eliminate the free outs on the turn. Since after betting out, you know you are beaten, why even call the raise? Well you are going to beat AA-KK too often for me to fold here after putting in about 1/3rd of your stack (You will win about 36-38% of the time). Also there is of course some chance your opponent is on some kind of move, or has something like AJ.

Anyway I don't even think it makes that big a difference as to what you do here. You just have to judge how often your opp will bet with AK or AQ if you check. If the answer is that they will bet a large % of the time, then it makes sense to check raise.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:02 PM

If flat called I have to push the turn.

It would suck, but folding would suck more.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-12-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this line, but i don't know what to do if i am called and an ace, king or club comes out on the turn. I suck at playing the turn....

[/ QUOTE ]

A club on the turn is totally meaningless. THere is very little chance your opponent has a flush draw on the flop. An ace is a bit annoying, but if your opponent called a decent sized bet on this flop with AK then congratulations to them for being completely insane.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Oops, pot is to big to lead, so c/r all in, he has the lead

Read it too fast the first time, if you lead he probably pushes, so I c/r all in.

Sorry,
Woodguy
Old 09-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Default What I did

I bet 200 into the 360 pot on the flop. I had decided I was playing this for all my chips if I had to, so if he had AK I didn't want to give him the free card, but he just called me.

Turn was a low blank and I checked, and he checked behind. River was my Q and I bet 300 and he folded.

I think I really butchered this since I had every chance of going broke, but very little of making much, unless he had me and I sucked out.