Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: 30/60 hate those thinking players

You told me about this hand...

I like it. Especially given the player. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This is a pretty player specific hand.

On the turn if you bet, he could very likely fold. The pot is small so why not try and trap him for another bet by getting him to bet the river as you know it's a very good chance of that happening. On a draw? Doubt that board hit him.

However, if he has an ace, you'd likely have made 2 bets off him anyways just betting it out. Unless you think he'd lay down a worse ace. But your play looks odd enough that he'd call that river raise just to see what the hell you just played.

I wouldn't make this a routine play, but I think it's good once in a while against this type of player.

b
Old 08-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, if your goal was to induce a bluff on the river, then raising is pretty stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he'd fold the turn to a bet, but call a raise out of curiousity of an oddly played hand?

[ QUOTE ]
why check the turn? i don't like to give free cards to hands that could have 6 or more outs

[/ QUOTE ]

6 or more? You really think that flop hit this player? Of all the hands he has, you're really worried about something like 89s in comparison to all the other hands he could have?

Not saying I wouldn't bet the turn, but not for that reason.

b
Old 08-26-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've often wondered if this wasn't a bit of a tell, would a player raise in red if he thought he was marginal, but in green or black if he was sure the chips were comming back?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've wondered this as well. It's not just about the chips coming back but also that someone might use less chips when they have a strong hand so that the raising action doesn't look so intimidating (stacking piles of chips) and scare out the bettor. Also, it's faster and doesn't give them a chance to realize they should fold. I haven't actually observed a correlation.

[ QUOTE ]
someone was sure they had a tell on me by what I marked my cards with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, I remember when that happened.

Anyway, I think I know who the opponent was based on your description. I think the way you played it is fine. If he has a better ace, he could check-raise the turn, but will not three-bet the river, so you save money. If you have him beat, you frequently get at least one extra bet by checking the turn and letting him bet the river, and often get two because he will look you up out of curiousity. I think your check rarely ends up costing you the pot.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 PM

Hi slavic,

The winner of this hand has essentially been decided on the turn. The only question is, how many bets will the loser pay off?

Since this guy is raising light, it's quite reasonable to believe that you have him drawing dead on the turn. Checking and giving a free card that may cause him to pick up a pair and payoff as many as 2 bets, is better than betting in a spot where he can't possibly call with anything but an ace. I like your play.

I'd say that a tight player who is a good hand reader will read your turn check as a big pocket pair that will call the river, so you won't induce action from him. For loose players though for whom curiosity will get the best of them, and especially this guy who is a loose raiser and can be counted on to bluff into your weakness, checking the turn looks good.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 PM

Yes, very good play. This should be routine but for whatever reason isn't.

JimmyV