Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default 30/60 hate those thinking players

9 handed 30/60 limit game, we play in a 1/2 structure with red and green chips, though most players play only red and it takes a month for betting and raising and calling to happen. Well for almost everyone, you see the anti-hero keeps a stack of blackbirds and I keep a stack of greens for easy raising access. I've often wondered if this wasn't a bit of a tell, would a player raise in red if he thought he was marginal, but in green or black if he was sure the chips were comming back? I haven't tracked people enough though someone was sure they had a tell on me by what I marked my cards with.

folds to an MP player who open raises, now this is in accord with his general style and while I find him a very good hand reader, he is opening quite a bit more than he should be. He floats from a little loose to very loose and recognizes this, he constantly chnages his play at the table, and trys to be tricky though he is consistent in many of his tricks. He likes to play with position on players so I sit to his left even though he is tighter than most bad players, I hold no opinion to his being bad or good, though his style of play has lasted a long time in this game. In general his opening standards do not seem to be position aware, so if he'd normally play it he's opend it anywhere. His post flop skills should be best described as "don't show weakness" I am next to act and 3 bet with AJo. The rest of the table folds. The anti-hero calls.

6 7 3 r

check, bet, call (I think I got this part right)

Turn
Ace that completes the rainbow

MP checks, and I swiftly check behind.

MP bets the river dark, some middling something or other comes off the deck and I raise.

OK let me have it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: 30/60 hate those thinking players

that wouldve been sweet if yoiu had raised in the dark but I think you played this hand very well. The only thing betting the turn will do is make him fold broadway cards that might pair up on the river.

youre strange line will probably get you called by 88-TT too.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 PM

i don't like your turn check
Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Why don't you bet the turn? If he is an aggressive player than a checkraise isn't even that terrible, you're getting 2 bets in with a pretty strong hand. He will probably checkraise you with a large number of hands, many of which you beat..

Is betting in the dark supposed to be macho or some sign of huge strength? Really just seems stupid in a LHE game.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM

If he was trying to complete a straight, you just gave him a free shot at it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Player dependant this could be a good play. If this guy is folding everything on the river worse then an ace I like it. Clearly if he could call with worse hands then you need to bet.

Seems pretty straight forward. I wouldn't be too worried that he would improve to beat your hand if he was behind so it is a good play (assuming he falls into the right player category).
Old 08-24-2005, 06:40 PM

I have not played B&M games this high, but I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Upon first reading I though you were trying induce a bluff by checking the turn. I personally like the play against a tricky opponent, but would just call the river.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not played B&M games this high, but I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Upon first reading I though you were trying induce a bluff by checking the turn. I personally like the play against a tricky opponent, but would just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, if your goal was to induce a bluff on the river, then raising is pretty stupid.

why check the turn? i don't like to give free cards to hands that could have 6 or more outs
Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 AM

This seems like a play best pulled out to accomplish something in the meta-game in addition to concerns for this hand by itself. If for some reason you need to tell him "you can't always abuse my apparent weakness when I check behind" then it might be worth the fanciness... it's the sort of thing I'd be more likely to try shorthanded when I rapidly encounter similar situations against the same opponent.

2nd
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a play best pulled out to accomplish something in the meta-game in addition to concerns for this hand by itself. If for some reason you need to tell him "you can't always abuse my apparent weakness when I check behind" then it might be worth the fanciness... it's the sort of thing I'd be more likely to try shorthanded when I rapidly encounter similar situations against the same opponent.

2nd

[/ QUOTE ]
2g -
I agree that short handed this is definetly the case, and this player does become better as the table becomes shorter. I absolutly agree that this has to have metagame impact because I don't see why you would do this against someone you'll never see again. If I can do things to keep his actions pure I think I benefit. Now in this case the player will call me down with almost anything here just because I've confused him. This is his normal reaction.

In the general case I may be giving up a full bet if I did this versus any random player. Versus some players who make good folds I may gain a bet, or I may just give them a free draw when they are "done" with the hand. In general I would say this line is not worthwhile, but here it just seems to fit because it gives me a different option on how to play pairs on flops with overcards.

BTW - Mp called the raise I showed my hand, MP mucks.