Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Did the HIGHVOLUME thread from the gamingclub get deleted?

What's the difference between that and O'Doyles post to get it banned?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:34 PM

First off, if it was appropriate for the bonus forum, it should have been posted there, and it would have been left to Jek to decide.

Second, the basis of whether spam is deleted is not whether it has value. Other advertisers object to what they see as a sign of preferential treatment.

I leave the day to day moderation of this forum up to Mike Haven and the other mods here, but when I receive notification, I have to take action. If these other threads you speak of appear to be spam to our other advertisers, I can assure you that I will be notified and that they will be deleted.

If similar threads are in the bonus forum, then I have no opinion. That forum is a commercial entity in itself and "spam" rules don't necessarily apply.

Sorry for the distress.

Mat
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 PM

I had a feeling it was a greedy affiliate making a fuss... (or perhaps another site that is hoping they never have to offer good promotions themselves).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM

I'm really not sure how I feel about the issue.

This one (and some other threads) seem to be walking the line a bit.

I don't see any reason why Gaming Club couldn't just buy a classified ad for their new HIGHVOLUME player program and put up a link with all the pertinent information.

But I can't directly answer the question of 'how is this any different from talk about reload bonuses?' or something like that. I'm just not sure.

But this one is for new accounts pretty much (I think) and is along the lines of 'Open a new account...play 10k+ hands...start getting rake-back in this special program if you use such-and-such code'.
Which really doesn't seem THAT different from 'Hey....I've got this GREAT new code on Party. If you enter code IMAMORON you get $25 for FREE!! It's a great deal!!'

Forgetting for a moment that the TGC deal might be a decent one (or might not depending on your POV) and that the Party spammer is just offering the same thing that anyone else could....the general idea tha the two are very much the same is easy to see imo.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
Other advertisers object to what they see as a sign of preferential treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that this was cutting a fine line, but then again one of the functions of this forum is for a collaborative creative process of generating ideas for online poker. If the game room participants aren't allowed to offer according to the idea, what good is this discussion.

O'Doyle's proposal is no less an offer even though it is not as concrete and has no named site. Yet it has all the elements of the GC proposal from ToT. I would suggest a happy medium much like you extend to Poker Authors in the Books/Publications forum.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:09 AM

I think TGC should pony up for a classified and then be allowed a discussion thread - it's a new type of offer and one that was of genuine interest to a lot of players (unlike the IMAMORON codes) because of its uniqueness other advertisers want their offers discussed, make em good ones.

But then it doesn't matter what I think, cuz Mat can lay the smack down on me and everyone else whenever he wants.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:43 AM

You might as well just get rid of this forum if we're not allowed to discuss things that might compete with the advertisers. We just had this fight with Jek, I don't want to get into it again. He, at least, saw the light.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, if it was appropriate for the bonus forum, it should have been posted there, and it would have been left to Jek to decide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I copied the original post out of my cache into the bonus forum, for those who still want it. Dunno how long it will stay there.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really not sure how I feel about the issue.

This one (and some other threads) seem to be walking the line a bit.

I don't see any reason why Gaming Club couldn't just buy a classified ad for their new HIGHVOLUME player program and put up a link with all the pertinent information.

<font color="red"> We will do that. </font>

But I can't directly answer the question of 'how is this any different from talk about reload bonuses?' or something like that. I'm just not sure.

But this one is for new accounts pretty much (I think) and is along the lines of 'Open a new account...play 10k+ hands...start getting rake-back in this special program if you use such-and-such code'.
Which really doesn't seem THAT different from 'Hey....I've got this GREAT new code on Party. If you enter code IMAMORON you get $25 for FREE!! It's a great deal!!'
<font color="red"> A code at Party as you describe is for an affiliate, whilst this code is not </font>
Forgetting for a moment that the TGC deal might be a decent one (or might not depending on your POV) and that the Party spammer is just offering the same thing that anyone else could....the general idea tha the two are very much the same is easy to see imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2005, 10:06 AM

Are all posts from Poker Sites detailing some new marketing angle subject to deletion?

Note: I can recall many which were not deleted around the time of the WSOP.