Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Tilting/Bad Beat Approach Question

Tilt in all of its various forms is -EV to say the least.

First and foremost you have to get to the point that getting beat baddly makes you happy and not mad. Sounds impossible, yep it nearly is, but you have to make that your goal.

So the next time someone sucks out with a bad play, try telling yourself... "Cool! This donkey will let me stack em with that kind of crap!"... Be happy and let it slide...

I am finally at the point that I rarely get mad for more than a second or two when I take a bad beat. But when I make a mistake and mis a big pot or lose a big pot, well lets just say I have a lot longer way to go dealing with being mad at myself than I am at some donkey that sooner or later is going to pay me off.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Anytime I suffer a few bad beats or make a few bad plays in a row, I leave the table. Not only is my respect lowered (people think they can run you over, etc), but I am probably not playing my a-game. It's a good time for a break.

This is more with making bad plays though. I don't mind bad beats that much, b/c I know that's how I make my money. I just curse really loudly and move on. But when I'm making bad plays, I'm not palying my a-game, and need to stop playing asap.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 PM

I know it is much easier to say than to do, but if you get too upset, then stop for a bit. In general, the difference between your A game and less than your A game is so great that it doesnt make sense to waste your time playing anything but your top game.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:57 PM

Well you have to have your "special" event that you cherish and never forget. For me it was 1 outer to tie that I've successfully pulled it by the river. Every time some one sucks out on me – I recall it and immediately feel warm and fuzzy inside – few chuckles- yeap good times- good memories.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
best thing in the world, hands down, is playing microstakes nl on stars or ub like a batshit crazy LAG and needling people when you suck out on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

One night, instead of going on full blown monkey tilt after a retarded run of bad luck on UB, I started taking whiskey shots and playing the $.01/.02NL game. I left the table w/ about $38. LOL. I think a couple budding young TAGs swore off poker forever that night . . . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anytime I suffer a few bad beats or make a few bad plays in a row, I leave the table. Not only is my respect lowered (people think they can run you over, etc), but I am probably not playing my a-game. It's a good time for a break.

This is more with making bad plays though. I don't mind bad beats that much, b/c I know that's how I make my money. I just curse really loudly and move on. But when I'm making bad plays, I'm not palying my a-game, and need to stop playing asap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the same way.

Also, ripping the buttons out of your mouse is a good way to get yourself to stop playing.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Drink Heavily and continue playing
Old 08-13-2005, 08:23 PM

you need to lose all respect for money in general. just play the right game, get into a state of mind where money and losing mean nothing to you, and focus on making +EV decisions every single hand. when someone makes a bad beat on you, make it a point to type in NH, NO MATTER WHAT. you know why? because money means nothing to you, you just love the game!