Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Prahlad Friedman vs Jesus Ferguson

[ QUOTE ]
If I were Jesus I may have went all-in there. Does Friedman expect Jesus to move in with the case ace instead of value betting? If he put Jesus on a J, then the river K would have given him the better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking he probably would have moved in if he knew Friedman had a K. Jesus probably put him on a J instead and figured Friedman wouldn't call an all-in just to get a split at best. After rivering the second nuts I don't see how Friedman could get away from his hand at any price, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Jesus knew Friedman had SOMETHING, but didn't know what. Obviously he knew he didn't have the other ace (haha) so very correctly put him on a J (no sense in staying in that hand on the flop without it). He most likely did not think the K improved Friedman's hand, if anything he probably thought it was a scare card to him, thus he wanted to make a bet he thought Friedman HAD to call with his J.

I agree that if Jesus had known Friedman had the K he would have pushed all in, Friedman almost certainly would have called and busted right there.

For those who say he wouldn't have called, imagine what a gigantic ass he would have looked/felt like if he makes this laydown and it's wrong. Then again if he makes it and is right he looks like a genius.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM

I agree. I've been thinking a lot about this hand, and I have to say, going broke would have actually been the better play. What did he think Chris had? In my opinion he (Spirit Rock) thought Chris had the A on the flop. He made an online play, which was to call and see what happens, to read a guy based on his action and nothing else. Sure Jesus might have been betting with a dry J, but if so WHY NOT RAISE? The call on the flop says one thing: I think you have an Ace, but hopefully I'm wrong. This is OK online, where you can only get so much info about unknown players, but this is a world champ yr playing against. He couldn't have thought that he could outplay him on the turn. So that was the biggest mistake.

The second big mistake was flat calling the turn. If he really thought they had a split, which is really the only other hand chris could have (QQ? Doubtful. KK? Only 3 left so probably not) he really should have pushed hoping to represent the Ace. He didn't, for the same reason that he called on the turn...he seriously suspected Chris had the quads, and was just calling in "the hopes"...

Then on the river, He DEFINITELY should have gone broke. Either he read c.f. as having it...or not. Loose weak calling off 7/8s of yr chips with the second nuts is just poor.

The guy is obviously a great player who hasn't developed an important offline skill: trusting your reads. I don't care how little Jesus moves or talks, you can still get a feelin about his hand, and SR, in my opinion, had a baaad feelin about that hand the whole way.

Obviously I'm not anywhere near as good as either of those guys, or even most of you guys, but I just think going broke getting wacky with the FH on the turn was the right move...or else a fold on the flop. Trust your reads Prahlad...if you do: no shame either way. ALSO: It's not "Celebrity Fit Club." If ESPN asks you to do something embarrassing like freestylin on a TV set...you're not contractually obligated to do so. Yoyoyo!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is OK online, where you can only get so much info about unknown players, but this is a world champ yr playing against.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy is obviously a great player who hasn't developed an important offline skill

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha
hahahhahahaaha

funny guy!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He thought they were chopping and Chris was just doing the annoying overbet in the obvious split pot position. He commented about this a while back to railbirds at prima.

[/ QUOTE ]

thought he was chopping when?

when the jack fell, or the king?

if he thought he was chopping when the king came, he should not have called the turn bet.

don't get me wrong, i probably go broke calling when the king comes if ferguson goes all-in. if the river was a queen, i don't call any bet ferguson makes. only the king gets any money from me.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After rivering the second nuts I don't see how Friedman could get away from his hand at any price, but maybe I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that the second nuts is far from the best hand. Friedman sees 7 cards. It ONLY takes 1 card to beat him. There are a gigantic 44 combinations of hands that have him beat. This is the exact same situation as holding the lone K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a board of 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Would you be able to lay this down. It is the exact same situation. You have the "2nd" nuts, but have 44 combinations of hands that beat yours.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:20 PM

It isn't the exact same situation. This is heads up. Yes your right alot of hand combinations beat him, but only 1 card in the deck beat him in a monster pot. The full house is irrelavant. But let's say you have 8A, pot is raised, board is 67910A on the river no suits. Would you fold to an allin, they could potentially have J8 for the nuts, but odds are you atleast have a split. If your worried about the nuts every time, you wouldn't be at the spot SR was in, you'd be out of the tournament long ago. SR is known to be ultra-aggressive and 1 hell of an online player and he might have wanted to but he's not folding the 2nd nut boat. Most people couldn't have done it especially on the river. If he was going to get away from it, it was going to be on the flop, the river card just screwed him up some more.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that the second nuts is far from the best hand. Friedman sees 7 cards. It ONLY takes 1 card to beat him. There are a gigantic 44 combinations of hands that have him beat. This is the exact same situation as holding the lone K on a board of 4 7 T Q 2

Would you be able to lay this down. It is the exact same situation. You have the "2nd" nuts, but have 44 combinations of hands that beat yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a routine laydown for you heads up at the end of a tournament, then your opponent won't even need to look at his cards to beat you.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM

HU Big Blind is aggressive. You pick up KK, he auto allins from the dealer. Do you fold HU. There are 4 combinations of Aces that have you dominated, there is 500k on the line between first and second. Do you fold and get your money in, in a better situation. Please, even if you know he has AA, you probally still call. Heads up, top pair is a monster, 2nd nuts is a hand 99.9% of people won't fold HU.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please, even if you know he has AA, you probally still call.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.