Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 PM

Default How often to bluff?

Ok, so I am a tight player and my raises and reraises get good respect. Since this is true how do I figure out how much I should bluff?

Let's say bb=100, 8 players left tight UTG limps in and folded to me on button, we both have 1300 chips and no huge or really short stacks in the blinds. If I raise here x%, what percentage of x should I be bluffing? Isn't there some game theory bs that tells me how to figure this out?

Reason I ask is that I have started bluffing more and it has worked out very well. Need to look for theory as to what frequency I should bluff.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: How often to bluff?

I think utilizing game theory for bluffing is more applicable when there are cards on the board, so you can represent a hand better.

Preflop, i think bluffing based on reads of UTG limping being a weak hand would be more appropriate than bluffing x% of the time based on the second hand of your watch, or the suits of the cards, or however else you decide.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:41 PM

I don't think there is a guide to how often you should bluff. This is often very read and stack dependent. You can bluff a mid-size stack with a big one late in the tournament, for example. I've become pretty damn good at this.

I bluff more postflop than preflop. I'm curious to see what others say. I like to take flops for cheap in late position with limpers in front. I then look at the texture, and make an estimate of how likely I am to chase them out. I do this quite frequently if I have any sort of stack and/or read on the limpers.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Maybe I made a bad example. Will you ever bluff raise preflop?

With blinds higher I am seeing a ton of people fold minraises to my all in. Every time I have a hand and every time I wish I had nothing. LOL.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I made a bad example. Will you ever bluff raise preflop?

With blinds higher I am seeing a ton of people fold minraises to my all in. Every time I have a hand and every time I wish I had nothing. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't bluff preflop often. My preflop 'bluffs' are blind steals when I've got a healthy stack and I'm attacking the middle stacks. I'll steal with virtually any 2 at some points, even from MP.