Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: my turn for help please

thanks so far guys. the sound card is on the board so thats what i get. i am beginning to understand the drives. so from what i gather so far i am basically not missing anything that may be a hassle later on. i am looking for a good computer that is hassle free and fairly good quality that wont be lacking two years down the road.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:31 PM

Within two years you will probably want more than a Gig of ram. So you might just wanna make sure you won't have to eat chips to add more. This is often an issue 2-3 years down the road.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Within two years you will probably want more than a Gig of ram. So you might just wanna make sure you won't have to eat chips to add more. This is often an issue 2-3 years down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, for a general use computer (I assume this is no hardcore gaming box we talk about), 1gb will last as long, longer than the speed of the cpu. 1gb is much more than enough today. If you were a hard core gamer or would like to optimize the computer for video editing or something like that then maybe it would be good to get more ram, so you wont have to worry in the future, but otherwise just a waste of money. I would rather have 1gb of high quality ram (like Corsair) than 2gb generic.

Building a box that wont just make trouble has alot to do with the parts. For example, I would rahter have a 3.0ghz cpu with quiet zalman cooling, than a 3.4 with stock cooling. Hardly anyone would notice the change in speed (unless you told them) but the lower noice people will notice. Same with memory, I would rather have Corsairs budget memory (witch is not as fast, but fast enough) than some high speed generic no name ram. Less to worry about and hardly noticable decrease in speed. The quality of the ram and hd is the most important as far as I am conserned, then comes mobo and power supply.

Buying the latest/best/fastest is not the way to go as far as I am conserned if you want a troublefree computer. I rather go for the higher quality stuff, that might be the same price but a bit "slower".

My computer (in case anyone cares, not the hottest, but works perfect and fit my needs):
Case: Antec Sonata (semi quiet)
Cpu: 3.0ghz P4
Cpu-cooler: Zalman 7700
Ram: 1gb Corsair value
mobo: intel rock lake (built in sound and nic)
hd: 200gb sata maxtor with fluid bearings
dvdr: pioneer 109
gfx: ati radeon 9600, fanless
monitor: samsung 710T

All payed for with poker winnings of cource [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like to build everything as quiet as possible. My last computer was so quiet that I mistakenly a few times turned it off since I didn't notice it was on (I never connect the front leds) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Ray,

One extra that I found helpful when I got my last computer was an Maxtor one-touch backup external hardrive if backups are important to you. It has software to regularly schedule backups that works great. Also, unless you are having it done for you or know how to transfer files via a cable, you can also use it to download your files from your old computer and then hook it up to your new one, though of course you have to reinstall all software. You also did not mention a monitor and I assume you are going to use your old one. If you want a new one, the 'official' 2+2 multitabling monitor, the Dell flat panel LCD 20" 2001FP can't be beat, and allows for 4 online tables w/no overlap, assuming that is important to you. Even if it's not, it is an awesome monitor.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM

What is a floppy drive? Do they still make floppy disks?

You probably got it for $5, but still a waste of money.

Gojacketz
Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 PM

Can we expect you to be 8-tabling the Party 30/60 soon?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:52 PM

i will look into a back up but most stuff can go poof and it wont change my life. i just copy everything to a cd one a month. but that would make it easier.

monitor comes next. i still want to buy locally so i dont have to hassle if problems. costco has a viewsonic2000 that i might get. it is 700 bucks and has all the good specs of the dell i think. most of all you can take it back up to a year later no questions asked. so i may try that first. anyone know about this monitor.
then i need to get a new scanner and maybe printer. the all in one ones usualy dont do anyone function well but they look like the ticket as they copy and fax as well. are they okay nowadays. costco has some HP's same reasons for me.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:54 PM

i need the floppy as the camera i have uses them and its real convenient to pop one out of the camera and into the computer. remember i live in the past.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:57 PM

if i do run for the hills. :-)
Old 06-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Another good reason to have a DVD burner is that any backups you do will be easier as they store roughly 4-5 gigs as opposed to only 700mb's per disc. Have fun with it. I would definitely not get a cd drive and the DVD drive - redundant.