Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: 50-100 shorthanded AA hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I am going to play a big pot I want to be raising it not calling it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? I think the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Villain is described as "overaggro to the point of being bad," so I see no reason to take the initiative away from him on the flop. AA is an absolute monster four-handed; let villain keep firing, as he will do so with countless hands that hero has crushed.

If you come over the top and take the betting lead away from him, however, you'll likely only get the money in on later streets if you're behind.

Evanski has the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so a spaid turn wouldn't be an absolute disaster. I like a smooth call on the flop, hoping for a K, Q or J to fall on the turn that will make villain top pair (wishful thinking, I know, but if he has AK/AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ/QJ and hits top pair on the turn, we get his stack), and then raise his inevitable turn bet all-in.

An argument could certainly be made for a reraise preflop, of course, but if villain is one of the three players I'm thinking of, I think I'd rather let them do the betting for me postflop.

(By the way, the 50-100 NL game was craaaazy good for a while yesterday while I was watching; did anyone else see Erin-whats-his-face tilt off about $50K or so to Mahatma in the span of half an hour, tops? Backing second and third button w/ his stack, CR-bluffing the turn into the nuts w/ pure air, just effing unreal. One hand Erin raises pf, Mahatma reraises, flop Jxx, Erin pots it, Mahatma minraises, Erin calls. Turn pairs the board, Erin pushes, Mahatma instacalls, Erin has J8o for jacks up Mahatma JJ to scoop $40K or so. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM

you can defend either way. i would typically call against a hyper-aggro who fires the turn a lot. i'll take my bluff and semibluff equity since he'll be firing on vapor a good percentage of the time and will be sorely tempted to fire again. against a flop hyper-aggro who does not fire much on the turn (and there are a lot of those on UB), i like the raise. most will call you with a draw then checkfold the turn, and you have the As redraw if the flush gets there and he fires into you.

or just reraise preflop.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I did see most of that 50-100 UB game yesterday, and it was CRAZY!! That 40k pot was unreal. I was trying to get a hold of my brother (a regular in that game), but alas, he had to work. Mahatma bought in for 10k and by the time I had to leave he had 55k, most of that from a 20 minute period. I think Erin went on tilt after betting 14k (all-in) into a 5k pot with Q10 on a 10 5 4 flop, only to have Mahatma (has her covered) call with 10 5, and catch a 5 on the turn to take it down. Dirty.

Finwe