Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 PM

Default My First Live MTT

Hey all,

Last night I played in my first multi-table tournament. It was at a local firehouse, with a buy-in of $65, and somewhere around 250 players. First prize was $2,500.

Players started with 200 in chips, with blinds beginning at 5-5 apiece, and then going up to 5-10, then 10-20, 20-40, etc. every half hour. Once the blinds got to 20-40 everyone was required to post a $10 ante, which rose in increments of 5 in each subsequent level.

I went out about 1.5 hours into the tournament. I only voluntarily entered two pots the entire time, and after being blinded down to 100 chips, I found QQ in the big blind, went all in, and got a caller who made a flush. I had a tight table image, but still felt sketchy about attempting bluffs because my table had two players who were just two terrible to be bluffed out of a pot(i.e. calling a 40 chip bet into a 40 chip pot w/an ace and 3 hearts on board w/King high, or calling someone's 100 chip all-in with a J6 of clubs).

My question is that at least to me, a player who tries to follow the tight/aggressive model that brings players the most success, this type of tournament structure seems difficult to beat. It seemed to me that blinds/antes rise too quickly and one cannot afford to be patient with starting hands. One also cannot bluff because of the number of players who are unwilling to lay down poor hands. Is it possible to have success with this type of structure? If so, how should one adjust their strategy to have success in this type of tournament? Or should something with this structure be avoided altogether?

I was unaware of the tournament's structure before I registered, as I wanted to use the tournament to gain real table experience. I ask about strategy adjustments because these kinds of tournaments run about once a month and I'm wondering if they're something I should get involved with to gain experience or something to be avoided because they're such a crapshoot?

Thanks for any help/insight and sorry if the post was a little long-winded.

Eric
Old 01-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: My First Live MTT

[ QUOTE ]
It seemed to me that blinds/antes rise too quickly and one cannot afford to be patient with starting hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO.

This is the problem with all online multis as well, but at least you get 1/2 hour there. Your 200 starting stack is horrible though. That's a pretty bad structure, but there is definitely strategy to be had. Be prepared to go out a lot in these though since you have no choice but to play. You could probably play tight at the 5/5 level, but after that you have to open up. You want to be in pots with those maniacs, not avoid them. You're going to have to loosen up here, but not any two like the guys you describe. I'm struggling with these structures/players online right now too. I was like you. I used to play tight, the blinds killed me, and then I would go out shortstacked (0 fold equity in these) You'll almost never sniff a final table playing like that in my experience. I've loosened up my standards and I'm more aggressive now knowing that I don't need as strong a hand to win against these guys. I think the most important thing is picking your spots with your marginal hands. That's what I'm working on.