Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Big(ish) stack early bullying - who pushes?

Level 3 (25/50) of a $50 SnG

I am UTG with TT and 1700 chips,

I limp, probably a mistake considering the stack size of UTG+2 (and to an extent UTG+1). But anyway:

UTG+1 has T180 and pushes

UTG+2 has T370 and flat calls !??!

MP calls the T180 too (he has ~T1100)

All others fold to me.

Who pushes here?

I did because I reckoned I could push MP off the hand and I liked my TT against the two short stacks.
Worst case I would have enough chips left even if I lost to MP. But I can't think of anything that MP could hold that he would want to go all in against me with.
Best case I am a clear chip leader.

Thoughts?

Tim
Old 08-23-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Big(ish) stack early bullying - who pushes?

You've left out some very important information here.

1) Stack sizes of the blinds
2) How many players are left
3) Your reads on any of the players (most importantly MP)
Old 08-24-2004, 06:19 AM

The blinds have both folded out of the hand. I don't see how their stack sizes are relevant, but FWIW i think they were both on around T1000.

There are still 10 players left, again I don't see how this is relevant. I want to know what people think of the push. At this point I know that there are the two short stacks and MP still in the hand and nobody else.

I have not been watching the table carefully, and there has only been 23 hands so it is near enough impossible to get much of a read. But there has generally been a lot of limping. The very short stack lost his chips to a bad beat, UTG+2 was I think just loose passive and gave them all away. I have no specific read on MP, I didn't see him win his T100.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tim
Old 08-24-2004, 02:53 PM

I like the push...if MP was strong I'm sure he doesnt want more than heads up and would have at least reraised....UTG+2...who knows????strange play...I'm sure MP folds here if solid player...
Old 08-24-2004, 06:11 PM

I'm sorry, the # of players left and the stack sizes of the blinds only matter if they haven't acted yet, which they had. I misread that you were UTG and limped and thought you were in LP. Also if there were fewer than 10 people (say 7 or less) left, I would advocate raise first with the TT.

Anyway, the call after an allin and a flat call worries me, I would say that this is most likely a big dog/slight favorite situation, and would fold. That's why you limp UTG with TT, so you can get away cheap.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:15 PM

I like the push. MP shoulda raised just about anything scary for your TT. Knock him out and go for that nice chunk of all-in $$.

I dont think the limp UTG is too bad if you think at least one of the small stacks may push. You get to look at the action behind when one of them does decide to go for it. At worst (hopefully) you end up giving a free flop and having to fold cheaply.