Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 06:00 PM

Default building the pot for other players on the bubble (x-post from MTT)

I asked this once before but didn't really get much of a reponse so I thought I would try again.

What do people think of putting in small raises or limping in to incite other players to stay longer in the hand. With the aim of increasing the possibility of them busting on the bubble or in the money.

i.e. you are trying to pot-build but *not for yourself*, simply to encourage more action by the other players.

______

So for example say there was a limper in front of you with a slightly small stack and you are in MP with a mid to large size stack. There is a short stack in the BB (with say 4BB).

Would anyone put in a minraise here with bad cards? The aim being to encourage the BB to push in.
If he does and the limper calls then it is an easy fold. If the limper folds then it is an easy call.
If the BB folds then you have position over a PF limper.
If other players stay in the hand then all the better, the pot is offering odds which will increase the probability of a showdown and hopefully a bust out.

_______

I would be interested to hear any thoughts on this. Please try not to focus on the particular example, I made it up. I am more interested in the concept of pot building for other players.
Does anyone else ever do this? I have experimented a bit with it and had quite a lot of success with it.
Is it too expensive?

Thanks

Tim
Old 08-07-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: building the pot for other players on the bubble (x-post from MTT)

At what level of SnG do you think that this would work?

At first glance, I would assume it would have to be a $50+ given that your opponents would have to be the type to take the situation into consideration when deciding to play, and not just what cards they are holding.

Or would it work better in a lower level given that it may be easier to *entice* your opponents to play?

At what levels have you had success with this?

It's interesting, and I'd like to learn more and hear some opinions.

regards,
woodguy
Old 08-07-2004, 06:40 PM

i do this all the time. when there are several callers in a pot and im on a strong draw if the bet is really too low and i have enough chips i will raise it knowing everyone will call or raise. if noone raises and i hit my draw thats money, otherwise the pot is built for a raise...i ilke it when theres asctino at my table...makes it easier to win with good cards
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 AM

I gave this some thought myself, but I quickly decided that in SNGs its just not worth it unless you know the other players very well.

Every chip is important when it comes bubble time. This might work ok on pokerstars, but on party I just dont see this being a +EV way to play. Perhaps if the perfect situation comes then maybe, but all in all at the late stages of a PP SnG this would just be beleeding chips out.

This might work if you get an eary bubble and you have a very nice sized stack. You really cant bully too much with all ins just yet, the blinds are too low, but if the blinds are still 25-50 or 50-100 then maybe you can afford to throw out 200 chips to insight some action. chances are both the BB and limper will at least call the minraise. now they have a nice sized pot to drool over, and you might flop an unexpected monster too.