Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Getting Check-raised on the river.

Good $6-$12 home game.

One early limper to me in the big blind with black Jacks.

I raise, and it's heads up. Limper is starting to improve his game, but can be overly tricky at times. His hand selection is a bit questionable, but it's better than most at this game.

Flop comes down K55 rainbow.

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is a offsuit deuce, he checks, I check.

River is a 9. He checks, I bet, he raises, I call.

Opinions on all streets appreciated.

Also, I was wondering what most people do if bet into on this flop.

-Huh
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Getting Check-raised on the river.

Not sure why you checked the turn. No reason to make him on a K or a 5 at that point so you're basically giving him a free card. If he check raises you after a bet on the turn, then he's probably slow playing a hand better than yours. If he calls and then checks the river, maybe I check out, depending on my read of him.

If I'm bet into on the JJ on this flop, I'd reraise. If it gets reraised backed to me, I'd probably fold unless I got a good read on this player and was pretty sure he'd come back at me with a bluff. Of course, if I thought that, I might just call to see what he does on the turn. This way you get your info from the small bets rather than waiting for a couple big ones and getting stuck in on a loser because of pot odds.

The reason I say all of this is because that can be a scary flop for a lot of different preflop raised hands and so if I cold call or limp and get reraised preflop in EP and then a pair comes on the flop, I'll bet into the raiser almost every time. The small bet gives you a lot of information and it's a good time to bluff if you haven't yet. If you get reraised, then you can say something like, "I guess my pair of nines is beat" and throw your hand in.