Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Help me network my computers...

I've run the netowrking utility. Both computers are in the same workgroup. It looks like one is working correctly because under My Network Places the shared files for that computer show up. On the other computer they do not.

Both computers are on the same wireless netork. Thanks,

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Help me network my computers...

I'm getting an error when I try and click on my workgroup that says I don't have permission to access that resource. Wierd.

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM

From the computer that works I can see both computers. When I try and click on my laptop (not working computer) it says "Comp not accessible, I don't have permissions, network path not found"

I really appreciate any help. Thanks,

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:28 PM

what OS are you running?

it's possible that you need to give yourself administrator access.

also try going to Start -> Run and type in "\\othercomputername\c$", see what happens.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:32 PM

honestly windows networking is a coin flip using that utility, sometimes it works sometimes it doest. On the computer that you cant access, make sure you have set file and printer sharing. If thats not the problem try running the setup again.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what OS are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

XP on both machines.

[ QUOTE ]

it's possible that you need to give yourself administrator access.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have given myself Computer Administrator access on both machines. Should be correct.

[ QUOTE ]

also try going to Start -> Run and type in "\\othercomputername\c$", see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The network path was not found.

I really appreciate the help.

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM

- are you sure they're on the same network? make sure you're not picking up a neighbors access point on one of them. Start -> Run "cmd", at the prompt type in "ipconfig /all", confirm that subnet mask, default gateway, and dhcp server are the same on both. IP address should be different for the two also; from each try typing in "ping <other IP>". you are either going to see a bunch of replies or timeout messages.. edit: also try "ping <other maching name" if the IP address works.

- Start -> Settings -> Control Panel, Network connections. Confirm that File and Printer Sharing is listed and enabled (if you get desperate at some point uninstall/restart computer/reinstall)

- Try temporarily disabling all software firewalls. There is an XP one that you should see in the connection properties dialog from the previous step. If you have another one installed (Norton or something) disable it. It's VERY dangerous to leave like this so only do this to try to diagnose and make sure you turn back on.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Gahhh.... It was a firewall issue. Thanks guys.

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Try temporarily disabling all software firewalls. There is an XP one that you should see in the connection properties dialog from the previous step. If you have another one installed (Norton or something) disable it. It's VERY dangerous to leave like this so only do this to try to diagnose and make sure you turn back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running a Norton firewall. It allows you to permit access for an IP. I figure that's safe enough right?

Krishan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running a Norton firewall. It allows you to permit access for an IP. I figure that's safe enough right?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect.