Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Default How often do you bluff the river after opp checks behind on turn HU?

I NEVER do this and I am think I am missing out on some serious EV. My thinking is that I am an aggresive player and my opponent will be expecting a river bet after he checks behind on the turn. However, after I check behind on the turn I find my opponent betting the river a LOT, so much so that a fair few of the bets must be bluffs. Most of the time I will fold as I have F all, but some of the time my F all will beat the opponents F all and I will make an incorrect fold. In mid/high short games, esp. in steal situations both guys often have such shite that perhaps it is worth bluffing the river some in this situation? 1 thing to note is that I have seen people checking behind on the turn with strong made hands (2 pair +) a fair bit recently (I think it is a pretty dumb strategy in most cases. Often I was plannning to c.r the turn and they could have got 4 BBs from me. However, they check behind and raise me on the river. I call because they either have a monster of nothing. Hence they only get 2 BBs from me.)
Old 12-21-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: How often do you bluff the river after opp checks behind on turn HU?

I usually find myself betting the river as I am aggressive two if it went check check on turn, especially if some drawing card comes out. Very rarely do they check the turn after you check it when they have any kind of pair, and chances are river didn't improve their hand.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: How often do you bluff the river after opp checks behind on turn H

How often do you bluff the river after opp checks behind on turn HU?

Depends a lot on their went to showdown stat...having a fold to river bet stat is nice also.

More important than stats it depends what you have seen them call the river with before and what kind of hands you have been showing down and how much you have been folding to turn raises and stuff like that. Basically how likely it may seem them that you are FOS.

I think this move works best with a tight image--something I only have when I am totally card dead. Its brother the check the flop lead the turn move works well when card dead with nothing also--at least against those really passive opponents.