Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Simple flop question

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on:

1. what you would do if you had an Ace in this spot; and

2. what you think your opponent thinks you would do if you had an ace in this spot.

Someone in this thread already said it: Use recent hand history to guide your play. I don't think there is a right answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There are a few different ways to play this.

Betting out can look like a draw. A c/r looks like you're trying to protect something. But if you'd play an A the same way by betting out...

UTG is the most likely to fold to your flop bet. He's LAG so if he had an A, he'd likely have raised it preflop. If he just calls or raises, you may have problems to be wary of.

If UTG folds the flop and button calls, it may take to the turn to fold the button as he may expect a draw to check the turn.

Another question is will the Button raise with an underpair to the ace on this flop or will he wait for the turn? Also, how does he react to you betting?

I'd bet out, if UTG calls and button raises then I'm just calling. Then decide what to do on the turn.

You could check call the flop, then bet the turn. Though if UTG is still in there, I'm not sure I'd try that.

b
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM

couple things imo.

---a bet out faces UTG with a crap situation w/ a pfr behind him, and ace being on the flop. Button in this hand could put u on a draw, if he respects u he may think u are betting a weak ace to generate some action. or maybe mid pair.

---Also w/ a bet out, most likely even if button didnt hit this flop, hes almost always peeling, expecting a check maybe 30-50 percent of the time possibly. He will likely fold to a follow up bet.

---If u bet and UTG folds, BTN may try to go for a cheap showdown by raising flop and betting or checking turn (checking a decent amount w/ an unmade hand...but possibly betting to pressure a possible mid-pair...which would probably be unlikely, I dont think he thinks you are folding much)...so even if your bet does not pick up the pot, u do get to draw super cheap a percentage of the time.

Check-raising could net u the pot possibly, but u also have to account for the times BTN calls and pops turn, 3bets flop and bets turn..etc. BTN is almost never folding the flop to a CR, he's probably peeling a good amount.

--------------------------------------------------------

I had more to add on the C/Ring part but Im falling asleep here so I pretty much forgot what I was going to say. I think the most important thing is your image. Do u look like a lag/donk/tag/kicker-of-ass this session, etc. I think that goes a long way towards giving u your answer. If u have been check-raising all your draws, bet out. If u have been betting/donking more draws then c/r. Mix it up, give him whatever line makes him more afraid u have a hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

It's because of situations like this that I insta-muck preflop.

You hit (as well as could be expected) and now the hand is still hard to play.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Both lines are +EV, given the current size of the pot. The fact that deciding between the two is "close" or "hard" is not a good reason to muck this pre-flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both lines are +EV, given the current size of the pot. The fact that deciding between the two is "close" or "hard" is not a good reason to muck this pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is absolutely correct. I have explained my general philosophy of why I prefer checkraising over betting, but both these plays are close and both are +EV.

What about folding preflop with our 97s. Is this a viable option? Given the action preflop, the hero's hand is simply too strong to fold getting 5-1. Since the button is isolating a single limper, it is very unlikely that an overpair is out, which is why the hero must call and participate.
Now if you change the action preflop I would fold 97s in the BB getting 5-1. For example if a TAG raised UTG and another TAG coldcalled UTG+1 then I would fold, becuz the chance an overpair is out is just too high for me to continue even getting 5-1.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM

Flush draws are fun to play not hard to play.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a limper then a raiser, I complete any 2 suited in the BB.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I though I was tight. Maybe with 9s4s you muck but 9s7s is plenty good for a call here
Old 12-15-2005, 12:04 AM

id check call.