Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Is Star Trek Racist?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did not get this from it. I saw it as a representation of the Cold War because there was an uneasy truce in which battles may have been fought but wars didn't break out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earth and Romulus had an extended war about 100 years prior to the events in TOS. There's talk of an 11th Star Trek motion picture which will show the events of that war and the birth of the Federation of Planets.

Complete war broke out between the Federation and Klingon Empire during TOS. But, it only lasted one episode. After that, they went back to their cold war stuff.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whoever the guy is that is at the helm with Sulu is exhibiting prejudice towards Spock throughout most of the episode. Then, when they actually see the Romulan commander, 'that guy' does the look-at-the-screen-look-at-Spock triple (or even quadruple) take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that one now and how I felt when I saw it at 12 yrs old. I saw a crew man that naturally catagorized Spock because of his likeness to the enemy. I also saw Spock become uncomfortable/suprised himself although he was above all that emotion stuff. I think in the end the lesson was that they might be forced to blow up the Romulins but that Spock was ok even if he "looked" the same. Now that sissy captain on The Next Generation would have invited them to high tea and bisquets. The whole show was ahead of it's time about a lot of things. I heard Rodenberry speak at university and he said this was his intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm really geeking out over this...

He was prejudiced against Spock because of his non-humanness, and hated the Romulans because they offed his family. When he saw what the Romulans looked like, that galvanized his feelings...until Spock saved his life at the end.

Another episode where the human crew members are getting all pissy about Spock being cold and logical is the one where the shuttlecraft gets stranded and they're getting attacked by big, scary men in furry suits. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I'm really geeking out over this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 AM

There's talk of an 11th Star Trek motion picture which will show the events of that war and the birth of the Federation of Planets.

Sounds like Pie in the Sky. A Star Trek movie without familiar Star Trek characters? I think you and I and a lot of people would like to see it, but i doubt it plays to general audiences.

That being said, the last 2 movies were, to be kind, disappointing. Insurrection just plain sucked and Nemesis was derivative.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't there any mexicans on star trek?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are no fences in space. Just a joke guys.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why aren't there any mexicans on star trek?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are no fences in space. Just a joke guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw Q Who episode last night. I guess Star Trek realized this cultural problem and introduced Ensign Sonya Gomez to engineering. Talk about social equity. She promptly spilled hot chocolate all over Captain Picard. I thought it should have been tequila or Tecate, but that's just me.

ScottieK