FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: No Arabs on Star Trek?

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, Khan Singh was a Sikh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 PM

Maybe its an urban myth, but my understanding was that Rodenberry had used the Russians as models for the Klingons, Japanese and Chinese for Vulcans and Romulans etc.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Is Star Trek Racist?

[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism. Two men from a planet whose people are out to destroy each other end up on the Enterprise. Their vendetta is motivated by superficial racial differences -- one is black on the left side of his body and white on the right, while the other has the colors reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, this episode received an emmy for make-up.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance: What does TOS mean?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:20 PM

Original series maybe, but the Klingon uniforms and rituals TNG and onward are very Japanese
Old 12-13-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TOS had an episode on the absurdity of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance: What does TOS mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

TOS = The Original Series
Old 12-13-2005, 05:46 PM

You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals, we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us, and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human. The first interracial kiss -Star Trek, the russians complained there was no russian so there was the next year, the klingons were the russians but we were dealing with them, the show dealt with nazi thinking, destroying you enemy vs. compassion (the Gorg lizard show), race relations (the half black half white faced aliens, the origional even had a female as the #1, it also dealt with hippies, dropping out, tuning out, war, genetic enginerring and many other issues of the time and of the future.

Hell they even had cell phones, ray guns, personal computers, things not even thought of back then, and Kirk even did the nasty with an indian chick and he had her baby. Premarital sex in the 60's baby!!! Sure it wasn't Will and Grace but Will never had to orbit Uranus (your anus).
Old 12-13-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Women were not equal in TOS. Women were specifically barred from being starship captains. The final episode of the series, Turnabout Intruder, deals with this.

[ QUOTE ]
...we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[ QUOTE ]
...and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You young whipper snappers amaze me with what you do not know. The origional ST was about a future where men and women were equals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Women were not equal in TOS. Women were specifically barred from being starship captains. The final episode of the series, Turnabout Intruder, deals with this.

[ QUOTE ]
...we had discarded our hate of people that don't look like us

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, either. Many crew members (sometimes for just one episode) had predjudices, particulary towards Spock.

[ QUOTE ]
...and we all lived in peace and harmony still having to deal with issues that make us human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the wars that were fought with the Romulans (prior to TOS) and Klingons (during TOS).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he meant that they had solved/put aside most of their inter-human differences. Why? Probably because they had aliens now which they could turn on. We still had prejudice, war, etc... It just wasn't against other humans anymore.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know this. Is that the one where they somehow switched Kirks mind with this chick and then she went to the enterprise to be captain in Kirks body? The one where Spock smelled a rat when Kirk was doing his nails on the bridge?