Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Default [Golf] Recommendations for Palm Springs?

Hi all,

I'll be furiously researching this online, but I figured I'd throw it out to the group as well. Looking at a golf trip to the Palm Springs area towards the end of the year with my GF. Any recommendations and/or places to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
offTopic
Old 12-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: [Golf] Recommendations for Palm Springs?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

I'll be furiously researching this online, but I figured I'd throw it out to the group as well. Looking at a golf trip to the Palm Springs area towards the end of the year with my GF. Any recommendations and/or places to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
offTopic

[/ QUOTE ]

PGA West. That is all you need.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 PM

I hate the Stadium course at PGA West (too tricked up), but the Palmer and Nicklaus courses are pretty good. I'm not sure how good of a golfer you are, but if you are looking for a decent place to stay with two halfway decent courses, the Desert Springs Marriot is nice, and its pretty close to Indian Wells, La Quinta and many other resort courses out there. It also has a nice spa for the GF and is close to the nice shopping/restaurants on 127. You can also check here. I've found these forums to be pretty good in helping to plan trips in the past (not a lot of overall traffic, but with some of the bigger destinations you get more input). I got some great advice on a Myrtle Beach trip this year from this place.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 PM

SossMan: We may kick down, depending on how masochistic we're feeling.

WLVRYN: I'm a 15-16, and my GF typically shoots in the mid-90s. Have you played Mission Hills? (Westin) We've generally really liked the Troon Golf courses we've played in the past.

Thanks for the info, everyone, keep it coming!
offTopic
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM

I havent played at Mission Hills, but I havent heard anything bad about it either. The courses at the Marriot would be decent for both you and the GF, plus they have a nice pool and spa (and a nightclub in the hotel too - ahhh....Costas!). There is are two courses right across the street from the Marriot too (Desert Willow maybe?) that was nice last time I played it if you wanted to get in more than two rounds. You could also check out La Quinta, but that might be a little pricier. A resort like one of these three is probably your best bet to get a decent rate, nice hotel and good golf all in one.

You probably want to avoid PGA West Stadium or you and the GF might put up some monster scores. I'm a 6 and the last time I played there I shot a 94.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably want to avoid PGA West Stadium or you and the GF might put up some monster scores. I'm a 6 and the last time I played there I shot a 94.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd tend to agree, though it would be the first time I'd have a legitimate opportunity to play a course I'd previously only played on a video game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would hate to run out of balls, though...
Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 AM

Funny you say that because I played TPC Sawgrass last year for the first time, and I cant tell you how weird it was to play it after an inordinate number of rounds on Tiger Woods PGA Golf. I knew the layout of every hole like it was my home course. If only I had the super Tiger power and the ability to control the ball in the air, I might have shot a good score there.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Outside of Blackwolf Run/Whistling Straits, the best Pete Dye vacation spot is Palm Springs. Play all his courses out there, and if you have time, I really enjoyed Greg Norman's course at PGA West too.

Oh yeah, and props to having a GF who plays golf. I don't need her pics to assure you that you are a lucky man.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of Blackwolf Run/Whistling Straits, the best Pete Dye vacation spot is Palm Springs. Play all his courses out there, and if you have time, I really enjoyed Greg Norman's course at PGA West too.

Oh yeah, and props to having a GF who plays golf. I don't need her pics to assure you that you are a lucky man.

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked the palmer and nicklaus, didn't care much for the Norman. Stadium course is one of those that you should play just to say you have played it. Man, that thing has teeth. It has these sharp rocks that line the fairways and the green. It literally looks scary.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Hi gonores,

I know, and she thanks you as well...we were on a short trip in the Reno area, playing D'Andrea in Sparks, and Sierra Nevada Golf Ranch in Genoa, and a dealer at the Peppermill told me the same thing. She hasn't let me live it down yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]