Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Margaritas!

Tomorrow (Monday) is my birthday. My wife asked where I wanted to go what I wanted to do. We've been out a ton lately so I decided I wanted to party in.

So she wants to make a dinner.

I decided on a Mexican dinner and Margaritas. (The party with friends is next weekend due to the Holiday weekend just past).

She's making a bunch of stuff ... tamales, fratatas (or whatever), and buritos or something. I told her I'd take care of the drinks.

I have 1800 here, but am looking to get some higher end Tequila and a decent recipe for Margaritas.

So:

1. I need a good recommendation for tequila for Margaritas. We'll probaby progress to shooting at some point but that is less of an issue. I'm looking for something good, but don't want to spend $200.
$100 or so or less would be great. If it's more, it's more.

2. I need a good Margarita recipe. Something interesting and fantastic. I'll pick up whatever I need tomorrow though I probably have most of what we need. No mixes involved please. Oh, and we both prefer them on the rocks rather than blended (dunno if that matters).

And yes, I could Google ... I'm looking for something someone has tried and loved rather than some random recipe.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Margaritas!

The key to a good magarita is not so much the tequilia but the sweet & sour and the triple sec. Mostly everyone thinks that a good magarita requires a top shelf tequila but this isn't true. Also... never NEVER get frozen margitas. They'll ALL taste the same no matter what combination of tequila/triple sec/ or sour mix you use.

That being said, use Gran Mariner for the triple sec. Cointreu is a good triple sec as well. The best sour mixes that I've had either had freshly squezzed limes or a powder mix. I would recommend Rose's Sweet/Sour Mix.

Now for your tequila, really get anything you want. My personal favorite is Don Julio but that's a bit pricey. I live close to the border so luckily it's really cheap here.

As far as a receipe for a margarita just use 2 parts tequila and 1 part triple sec and you should be good. There's really no wrong way to make a margarita to experiment a bit. Just remember that a good margarita is what you like and not what a receipe says.

Have fun.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 AM

The tequila sort of matters. Buying a $200 sipping tequila to make margaritas with would be a giant waste of money, but the plastic bottle [censored] will make your margaritas taste mediocre at best.

I'd recommend Sauza Hornitos as a decent mid-range tequila (~$35). If you're more of a silver tequila person (a bit smoother), Herradura's pretty nice.

Regarding triple sec -- GrandMa with gold tequilas, Cointreau with silver. Learn it, know it, live it.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 AM

depending on how early you plan on taking the shots, a good tequila might be important. I personally am partial to Patron Silver in this case, I pay about 50 for a bottle. You could also go Don Julio or Tres Generacions or Cabo Wabo but those are all alittle expensive. Silver is the key though.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:42 AM

Look through some of these recipies

I'm not a margarita kinda person, but you can usually trust the food network to have some kickass recipies. Happy Birthday, by the way!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Don't waste good tequila on margaritas.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The key to a good magarita is not so much the tequilia but the sweet & sour and the triple sec. Mostly everyone thinks that a good magarita requires a top shelf tequila but this isn't true. Also... never NEVER get frozen margitas. They'll ALL taste the same no matter what combination of tequila/triple sec/ or sour mix you use.

That being said, use Gran Mariner for the triple sec. Cointreu is a good triple sec as well. The best sour mixes that I've had either had freshly squezzed limes or a powder mix. I would recommend Rose's Sweet/Sour Mix.

Now for your tequila, really get anything you want. My personal favorite is Don Julio but that's a bit pricey. I live close to the border so luckily it's really cheap here.

As far as a receipe for a margarita just use 2 parts tequila and 1 part triple sec and you should be good. There's really no wrong way to make a margarita to experiment a bit. Just remember that a good margarita is what you like and not what a receipe says.

Have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. Putting Patron silver in your margaritas is probably a waste because it's a really good shooter. Sauza is a good pick for margaritas. My favorite margarita is the Grand Gold, which is Grand Marnier and gold tequila. You can also do a Chili's Presidente knockoff with Presidente brandy instead of Grand Marnier.

ScottieK