Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Another big pot, non-nut hand, worse hands fold, etc

The sequel to what I posted the other day, I guess.

One thing I had hinted at some in that thread, but which no one really discussed, was that I'd like to find other lines to take in those hands in order to improve my EV. Maybe I can underrepresent my hand to get action from stuff I beat. Maybe I can overrepresent my hand and get better hands to fold. This was something I discussed in PM with someone a bit tonight and at the end of my last session I found a good spot for it.

I raise UTG with KK to $14. Two players fold and the button reraises to $35. He starts the hand with $272. I have been somewhat active preflop (nothing ridiculous) while I don't recall him getting involved much. Blinds fold, I call.

Flop is Q53 rainbow. Pot is $76 before rake, he has $237 left. Normally I will check to the reraiser, and then call or raise with my good hands. In this spot, I don't think I can just call since I'm out of position and the pot is so big. If I raise him all-in, he will be facing a raise of around $170 or so. I'm not too familiar with this guy so I'm not sure exactly what he'd call with, but I'd expect anything worse than a pair of queens to fold almost 100% of the time.

Instead of checking to him, I bet $30 into a $70 pot. I'm hoping he will raise me here with a lot of hands that I have crushed, thinking I am weak. Instead, he just calls. On the turn I now decide to check, he bets half his remaining chips, I raise, and he calls with AQo.

Given his reraise preflop, he probably was unwilling to let go of AQ on this flop, so I could have stacked him either way. But I think this line might allow me to make more money from worse hands (JJ, AK, etc). If I had taken the time to think a bit more about the stack sizes I would have bet a little more on the flop, since his call put me in an ackward spot on the turn.

This line probably would have worked pretty well for me in the hand in the other thread where the button raised, I reraised with KK, and he rereraised, putting 20-25% of our stacks in preflop. Leading into him for 35% of the pot would probably have greatly increased my chances of stacking him.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Another big pot, non-nut hand, worse hands fold, etc

strangely with KK when I get reraised, I would rather see an A high flop rather than a Q high flop.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 AM

Bet the turn. Wouldn't it suck here to have him check AKo through on that turn and have an ace come up on the river?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:31 AM

I wasn't too concerned about that. I figured AK would be more likely to raise the flop and try to move me off whatever weak hand I'm representing. And barring that, he'd certainly try to pick up the pot when I show more weakness by "giving up" on the turn. But yes, the check will occassionally cost me the pot, but I think that the extra money I make from getting him to bet worse hands outweighs it. As I mentioned initially, I did screw up a bit in selecting the size of my flop bet as I didn't think ahead to the situation I'd be left in on the turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:40 AM

To be honest, I think you lucked out here winning this hand. Against a reraise from a player you describe as being fairly inactive, in my mind I'm only beating possibly 2 of his hands: JJ, and AKo. You're essentially dead to QQ, and AA. I don't think you're "crushing" his range here. I would have never thought of AQ as a reraise hand but I guess in his mind you've been a bit laggy...

All in all I don't know if I want to be attempting to stack villian here...seems a bit risky to me.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:29 AM

How can I play this hand other than folding or getting all my chips in?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can I play this hand other than folding or getting all my chips in?

[/ QUOTE ]
DP
Old 11-18-2005, 09:08 AM

short handed, I expect to see quite a lot of reraising on AQ from the button. He has a good hand, is against a player who may be raising light in his mind, does not want the blinds to make it multiway and he has position. He likely sees our Hero's range as about ATo+, suited broadway, KQ, pairs 77+ and he has a lot of this dominated. Re-raisiing also puts Heroin the position of playing a big pot OOP, something most good players tend to avoid. He should also be aware he has a tight image that might let him buy the pot preflop or with a decent flop bet.

FWIW I think putting villains on big hands when they bet big or reraise preflop especially when they have position, is an over simplification of hand reading. Maybe thats why they keep showing me Aces though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
strangely with KK when I get reraised, I would rather see an 2 high flop rather than a Q high flop.

[/ QUOTE ]