Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Flat vs. Threaded?

neither of those statements were intended as personal attacks. if somebody told me i had a fundamental lack of understanding of something and proceeded to illustrate their point, i could agree with them and i not be offended. i can see how you interpreted my statement in that way. slashdot and 2+2 are truly apples and oranges, though, and i think i have elucidated that point fairly well. the veteran comment was a generalization, and i still believe it to be accurate.

i am completely supportive of threaded stuff in 'news' contexts like slashdot, by the way. i wouldn't want to see slashdot turned into a standard forum, and i think it's a bad way to have directed conversation about specific subjects in short bursts. i think the 2+2 MAGAZINE would be better off if it were done exactly like slashdot - summary of article, you click it to read more, and threaded discussion would be on the same page. it's kludgy and non-intuitive to read something, then go to a separate shoehorned place to discuss it.

the vast majority of DEDICATED FORUMS that i am aware of employ flat mode by default, and i believe the reason why is that it is superior in terms of usability. i never disagreed that some people enjoy threaded mode. my suggestion is that catering to that minority when evaluating alternative forum software would be a bad thing. it's not a standard feature, and a forum of this size should not be limited to less proven/scaleable solutions.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are inferring more than what's in bobby's post IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't an inferrence. he suggested in plain english that i was resorting to semantics, which was a hasty and incorrect judgement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if you're 'giving up' already i can't imagine that you've thought through your position thoroughly enough to care, and instantly interpreting my response as a bias-selected group for the sake of semantic argument is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

all of this is conjecture.

Your original reply, while it elaborated somewhat, spent more time harping on the definition of "forum" - and was worded aggressively...more to be right than to be helpful.

FWIW I read in flat mode but i'm totally indifferent - I think we should go with the best forum software even if I have to go back to reading in threaded mode.

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I read in flat mode but i'm totally indifferent - I think we should go with the best forum software even if I have to go back to reading in threaded mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

if threaded mode is enforced i am certain that 2+2 would see an exodus of users. a forum of OOT's activity level, for example, would rapidly become unusable.

mandating support for it is functionally limiting in terms of software solutions. i think enabling it by default is a bad thing, and forcing it would be downright disastrous.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:14 PM

There's no chance that we would go exclusively to threaded mode. There is some chance we would go only to flat, but I'm really hoping we can find a way to keep both options.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if threaded mode is enforced i am certain that 2+2 would see an exodus of users. a forum of OOT's activity level, for example, would rapidly become unusable.

mandating support for it is functionally limiting in terms of software solutions. i think enabling it by default is a bad thing, and forcing it would be downright disastrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. I was exagerrating to illustrate a point - that the overall quality of the software should be of greatest concern.

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really hoping we can find a way to keep both options

[/ QUOTE ]

i honestly hope it's feasible too. if any feature a number of people want can be afforded, it should be.

the problem is that the enterprise-oriented forum software like vbulletin, ipb, fusetalk, etc doesn't seem to support it.

as a user i'm slightly partial to ipb, which could be seen as a 'grown-up' phpbb. vbulletin is the most widely-used/liked enterprise forum software out there.

if it were my forum to run, my first choice would be vbulletin, and i would look down the tree if i ran into a showstopper.

MASSIVE use and commercial support (including phone) is a big deal. look at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430 - i would consider somethingawful's forums to be a standard of 'massive'. 31 million posts. 5,500 users LOGGED IN right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Complaints About New Forum Version

With any luck I've fixed the "back" button problem.

Chuck
Old 11-16-2005, 11:11 PM

You rock chuck. A quick check of two cases where it really annoyed me looks fixed.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:13 PM

It seems to be but now i keep getting this when trying to reply to your new post:

The form you have submitted is no longer valid.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 PM

Test of replying.