Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: How to respond?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call and look at a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the wrong play. You're hitting flop 31% of the time. And when you do hit, most of the time your bet is not getting called with the A or K on the board.

You win more pushing because you get to see all 5 cards (43% of time A or K hits by river) and you get the opponents money in the pot. Add the fold equity, and you gain 1.4 BB (push) versus .2 BB (call) against typical hand range.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM

That's one reason. To me the main reason is that he'll likely go to the flop with the pot equal to more than half his remaining stack <insert my normal rant about the stupid structure at Party>. Since the flop will miss him more than half the time, he'll either have to fold after committing more than 10% of his stack or pot-commit his entire stack.

On the other hand, if he pushes and they fold, he increases his stack by 25%. Not to mention that THIS IS PARTY (sorry, didn't mean to yell), and he could get called by hands he dominates.

I was being a bit hyperbolic in my original reply about folding. AK at level 1 is always a pain in the a$$, but in this stupid, stupid, stupid 800 chip structure, when you get action, you have to go for it.

AK is a hand that wants to see all 5 board cards. It's the 3rd hardest hand to dominate. There's nothing that says he doesn't have the best hand right now. This is a situation where I'm perfectly happy to bust out because if I get called and hit, my chances of winning go way up.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling would be terrible.

folding is only an option if you never intend to play poker again.

Push all your chips in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is everyone so scared of seeing a flop. god forbid you ahve to play poker. holla
Old 11-09-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and I am sure the advice is right. I called, the flop fell:

[ 3c, 2s, Jh ]

Seat 3 bet 250 and I folded.

I couldn't bear folding AKo preflop, but I didn't have the guts to push and risk busting out of the tourney in the third hand..

In the end, I finished second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're leaving out part of the story -- it looks like seat 3 bet after the SB, and BB (you) checked on the flop, yes? Then I'm wondering about calling over 10% of your stack without taking at least a stab at the pot on the flop.

Question for the group: Is the conventional wisdom here, given that he called, that he should check or make some kind of probe bet on the flop?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
calling would be terrible.

folding is only an option if you never intend to play poker again.

Push all your chips in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is everyone so scared of seeing a flop. god forbid you ahve to play poker. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm never scared of seeing a flop. I live on post-flop play. The problem here, I see, is you're OOP against 2 other players who may or may not be putting you in a vise. There just aren't many options here for post flop play.

CJ
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and I am sure the advice is right. I called, the flop fell:

[ 3c, 2s, Jh ]

Seat 3 bet 250 and I folded.

I couldn't bear folding AKo preflop, but I didn't have the guts to push and risk busting out of the tourney in the third hand..

In the end, I finished second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're leaving out part of the story -- it looks like seat 3 bet after the SB, and BB (you) checked on the flop, yes? Then I'm wondering about calling over 10% of your stack without taking at least a stab at the pot on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right.. my mistake. It was the SB who bet(seat 4 not seat 3).
Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Callin definately isn't terrible. The other options aren't bad. But calling isn't bad either.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 PM

This is either a call or a fold. Pushing is pretty bad. The whole mentality of the 11s are full of donks so now I can play worse is not very helpful to anyone, particularly those players playing the 11s. -EV is -EV.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, I finished second

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why pushing here sucks. Wait a bit. U did OK.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM

It's +EV to get called by KQs and AJo.