Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Nexgen/NJ questions

So I ordered some samples from 5stardeal.com. I'm glad I did. I was planning on going with the Nexgen River Poker Tour chips w/ some custom labels. It was my understanding that the RPT (8100) chips were identical to the Las Vegas (8000) Nexgens. But the RPTs don't have the texture around the edge that the Las Vegas chips have. They are as slick as dice chips. I like the rougher feel and thought it was the main reason people liked the feel of these chips. Why do people talk about all the Nexgens as if they are the same?
(I got some Lucky Bee samples as well. They aren't as smooth as the RPTs, not as textured as the LVs.)

Nevada Jack skulls - Now I'm thinking I may get these instead. But then I read that they aren't all the same thickness. Stacks of 20 aren't always even. This is totally unacceptable. This is what nevada jacks had to say:
[ QUOTE ]
If you purchase your chips all at one time from Nevada Jacks we guarantee a uniform thickness within a certain tolerance. Due to wear on the mold we occasionally (only twice since being in business) resize the thickness of the chips. There was recent adjustment which I assume is where the chatter is coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well the problem is that I'm not planning on buying the whole set at once, and I probably won't go through NJ directly. I want to buy 100 here and there at different times, probably from 5stardeal. But why would I spend .60-.70 per chip and not even know if they'll stack uniformly? So am I screwed? How many of you who have these chips have the thickness problem?

Anyone have input on either of these issues? Sorry this is long and whiney.
[/rant]
Old 10-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Nexgen/NJ questions

where did you get that quote? is that from an email?

I'm the guy that was bent out of shape about the different thicknesses lately.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where did you get that quote? is that from an email?

I'm the guy that was bent out of shape about the different thicknesses lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
I emailed NJ and that was their reply. Part of my question specifically asked if I could be sure to get uniform chips if I ordered from other retailers such as 5stardeal.com. You can see by their answer that they can make no such promise.

I don't want to order directly from NJ as it seems they only sell sets of 300/500. I want to buy a la carte so I want to go through someone else.

I also emailed 5stardeal. I'll post their reply when/if I get one.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 PM

The more I think about this, the more retarded it is. I spend .69 per chip. Then say 10 months from now I want to add to the set. I have no idea if the chips will be the same size or not?
This is asinine.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:18 PM

hm, I agree... now I'm kinda pissed that I spent "money" on them. I got all mine through "comp" sites... sold off that 300 that were too thin, have 300 more on the way and will need to buy 2 racks to complete my tournament set.

I will be finishing my set of 1k american beauties within a month or two depending on variance so they should all be from the same run as the 600 I got in the group buy.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone have input on either of these issues? Sorry this is long and whiney.
[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just had an order from 5stardeal. In the order I ordered some samples of the paulson's and also 2 NJ skulls just for the heck of it (25 cent and 50 cent).

I was surprised to see(feel) that the 25 cent is wider in diameter than the 50 cent! Not sure about the thickness, as I only have 2 of them.

Now, the Paulson's were much nicer than I expected [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]