Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 AM

Default General Strategy Vs Unknown

Assuming 100bb stacks, full ring table...
If calling a raise w/small or mid pair from oop against a relatively unknown, how do you proceed if you flop a set heads up? What if there are multiple players? What if the board is draw heavy? Just wondering what some poeple think is the best way to play these hands.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: General Strategy Vs Unknown

general advice is bet good hands fast, unless you hold ALL the cards (ie, you have quads, then it's ok to let someone catch up or bluff).

So bet your sets, unless you have a read that some guy is super aggro, but even then, you may as well bet and hope he raises [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 05:27 AM

I almost only play 6-max, but my general strategi is to bet something like pot if I flop a set against an uknown, no matter if I was the preflopraiser or not.

One exception is if I for example was in BB and UTG was the preflopraiser with some callers behind us and UTG has like 50 bb's.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 AM

For me, it depends on the texture of the board. The goal is to make as much money as possible, but the way you do that changes depending on what's out there.

In general, if the flop looks like one that could have hit a raiser (i.e. your card and 2 big cards), I'd probably just bet out between half the pot and 3/4 of the pot and hope to get raised. If I do get raised then I'll call, then I'll check the turn and try to get in a check raise.

On any board that has a flush draw, I'll just play the hand straight forward and lead for the size of the pot.

On a board that has no draws and all small cards, I'll slow play it on the flop. Usually on the turn though, I'm ready to try to jam it.