Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Help/Comments on PT stats (nearly 20,000 hands)

[ QUOTE ]
Well I would recommend that someone who is losing/breaking even learned to play tighter poker than most around here recommend. At first I was a break even/losing player, then I read Internet Texas Hold Em by Matt Hilger and instantly started winning. I played almost exactly as this book instructs, started winning and my stats were much more "weak-tight" than most 2+2. As I've got more comfortable, I have opened up and now I play more like V$IP of 19%, PFR of 7% and AF of 1.9. I tried raising in EP with hands like KQ, AJ, ATs, 77, etc and found that I was getting mudered. My best advice to this guy would be to read ITH, play exactly how it instructs than read Small Stakes Hold Em and start incorporating more advanced strategies into your game. (Maybe you should consider dropping down to $.50/$1 and multi-tabling - I can't imagine playing 19K hands and being down $$!) Also, what I've done is relied a lot on implied odds on the flop, knowing that if I hit my hand I will have two more rounds of betting at increased $$... my flop AF is 1.5 while my AF on the turn is 2.3.

This might sound strange and I'm sure I'll get ripped for it and everyone will tell me how I am a losing player in the long run, but this is what has worked for me. (For the record, my 3BB/100 is 4.1BB/100 at $.50/$1 and 1.6BB at $$1/$2)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice man. I've read all of the books you speak of. The Malmuth/Sklansky book is the bible I play by, always have. Not a newbie here, been playing brick and mortar 12/24 limit on a very regular basis for 3+ years. I do fine in live games, and actually do just fine on the internet NORMALLY. I had a decent stat list going until the last 1,000 hands, which i referenced in my original post - that last 1,000 hands on a bad run took me from 1.11 BB/100 to .26. So no, i wouldn't say i'm a "losing" player, though these last 1,000 have crippled any profit i had run.

From the sounds of it, my game is very similar to your current play of 19% VPIP, 7% pf raise and AF aggression. Though my AF is much higher than yours. I am very much in the 19 VPIP and 7% range.

Again, not getting beaten up by any means, but was wondering if anyone had any great insights. It sounds like there's not much to be found here based on my stats alone - other than go to showdown about 3% more of the time and get my W$SD% down about 4% or so. Raising pf on a view extra hands is necessary it looks like too.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:08 PM

check out this post for average stats of winning 2+2'ers.... here
Old 10-16-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bear in mind this takes into account SOME 6max tables that i play here and there (probably 10-15% of the hands are 6max).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bearing this in mind makes analyizing the stats you posted essentially worthless. 6max is a completely different animal from full-ring - and as such your stats are going to differ greatly. The fact that 10-15% of your hands are at 6max combined with the fact that 20,000 hands isn't a large sample to being with is really distorting what your real problems/leaks may be.

PT provides the ability to sort your stats by level and/or game type. If you're going to post stats for analysis you need to give stats from one limit/one gametype and at time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right. I shouldn't have just dumped all of the stats for ALL levels. Here is an analysis of JUST 1/2USD and 1/2GBP full ring. Still the same leaks are readily noticeable, but at least it's showing a small BB/100 and profit

15,033 hands
VPIP 16.6%
W$WSF 34.75
PFR 6.69
WSD% 28.64
W$WSD% 64.51
AF 2.74 w/o pf
AF 1.27 w/pf
Att. steal blinds - 26.84
$ Won: +$156.20
BB/100: .52

...I'm showing a small profit and BB/100, so i guess that's better than losing, but clearly it's not optimal. Looks like my WSD% is 4-5% too low and my W$SD% is 9% too high. PF raise is low by many standards at approx 7%, though i know there are some that argue that 7% is decent at the smaller limits (for example, i think 77 pf raise UTG is probably not all that profitable at small limits b/c of all of the cold calling that occurs with any 2 broadway cards, whereas at 10/20 and above that is more than likely a pretty profitable way to play b/c you can kill many hands like KJo from limping in).

Any more insights?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 PM

You need to:

1. Raise more pre-flop.

2. Call a bit more liberally on later streets.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM

You are definitley not going to showdown enough if your winning 61% of the time when you show down...

Your PFR is horrible, need to get that up to around 13-14% I believe. You should also be stealing more often, 28% isn't very good.

You need to be more aggressive post flop I believe, right now I think you're a rock - you need to be a shark. Be ferocious, that's how you win the money. AGF should be something like 3-4.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are definitley not going to showdown enough if your winning 61% of the time when you show down...

Your PFR is horrible, need to get that up to around 13-14% I believe. You should also be stealing more often, 28% isn't very good.

You need to be more aggressive post flop I believe, right now I think you're a rock - you need to be a shark. Be ferocious, that's how you win the money. AGF should be something like 3-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 13-14% pfr is necessarily right for everyone in every game. Many here have pfr's in the range of like 8-12 (mine's like 12 I think). Such advice might encourage the OP to start raising in too many marginal situations.

Pfr is a stat that should go up with time and experience (particularly if you start playing some 6max and get some experience with isolation and so on). Trying to force that to unnaturally high levels might actually have a very detrimental immediate effect on the OP.

The OP should consider the following:

1. Don't open limp in MP or later EVER, and start to consider what early position hands are really worth open limping.

2. Certain hands like suited broadway cards and some pairs like 88 and 99 probably deserve value raises in late position and are not getting them.

3. Consider whether raising in certain positions can help to get you to play more pots with the weaker players at the table (can you isolate a maniac by three-betting with AJ? Can a raise force out two tight players behind you and get to play against two fishy limpers three-way? and so on).
Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The stats post is all that is needed in these stats threads. We don't people with 8 posts and only 15K hands telling people that aggressive play isn't good.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The stats post is all that is needed in these stats threads. We don't people with 8 posts and only 15K hands telling people that aggressive play isn't good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... Rob or Evan, please sticky the stats post!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:10 AM

Still, the way his PFR is now isn't too good. Needs to boost it up. Best way to do this is to really think about your play, though. So, I agree with yah...