Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Cheat the odds that made you Brave to try to gamble at times

Ten handed 6-12 home game. The most boring game I’ve ever been in, but that’s mostly because of the attitude I have lately.

I’m in the Big Blind with Ts4s, the whole table minus one limps to the small blind, who raises, I call, two more call, and then there’s a limp-reraise. It’s called around, it may be capped, but who cares…No ones going anywhere.

So the flop comes down

Ks6s8s.

I bet out, there’s a call, than a raise from the pre-flop limp-reraiser, than two more calls, than I re-raise, then a call, then cap and four of us call. This is where I started thinking about collusion, but not the predetermined type, the type that is pretty common in home games.

I’ve played with the raiser a good deal, and I squarely put the raiser on the Ace of Spades. Sure, I could be beat, but I felt good about my hand. Everyone’s eyes’ were already glazed over by this gigantor pot that now crowded the table. Four callers was actually a bit lighter than I thought. So now, I’m raising and he’s making theoretical money, he’s raising and I’m making theoretical money, and there might be a set out there that should be raising and making the three of us theoretical money, but instead is staring at all those spades like a deer caught in the headlights. Likely, there are two people who are in way over their head, somewhere in the back of my mind, I’m hoping I’m not the third, but I manage to fit those monsters back under the bed where they belong.

Red non-pairing bricks that made various straights possible hit the turn and river. My bets at each junction only got called. On the river, the bare Ace of spades folded to my bet. I wonder what the sole river caller had. It could have been anything, really.

So, what about the pre-flop play? I have a reputation as relatively tight player, so I caught some serious s for showing down T4. I personally think my bigger mistake was explaining I was on the installment plan, and not just saying “I felt spades coming, better to be lucky than good”.

Comments, as always, welcomed and appreciated. I found the hand mildly amusing, when I’m thinking it should have been very amusing. Maybe it’s time for a break.

-Huh

Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Cheat the odds that made you Brave to try to gamble at times

I think calling preflop is routine unless limp-reraising is common in this game.

-- Homer