Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 04:08 AM

Default How much do you need to slowplay the turn?

A fairly standard play, holding the nuts with position on the turn, is to just call a turn bet, headsup, so that you don't scare off someone who is drawing almost dead and may induce him to bluff again on the river, where you can then get in that raise. This I understand. What I am interested in is how thin "the nuts" you can do this with. Here's an example of a 10-20 hand that I played, then wished maybe that I had played differently.

A loose, not always aggressive game, one good player and one ok player. I have T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in CO+1. UTG calls, good player calls, I call, Button (OK player) raises and we all call, including the blinds - 6 to the flop.

The flop comes a juicy 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The blinds check to the UTG who bets, good player folds, I raise, UTG calls two cold, the original bettor just calls. I have no real reads on these guys play, just that they are loosish.

The turn brings a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG checks, the flop bettor bets into me and I raise again. They both fold.

Was this a place for a tricky turn flat call? Would it be more so if it was just headsup?

tx

Dave