Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:20 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default How useful is a masters in CS

I'm looking at finishing a masters degree in the next year or so but I have my choices going forward.

I can get a Masters in Computer Science with around 25 more hours of work. An MBA would likely take around 6 months longer, I'm wondering how much more use and MBA would be over the MCS.

My story is fairly simple, went to UT, went to work for major tech firm in Austin, left UT early, 10 years later I'm in Seattle, job ends with Tech firm, I go back and finish CS degree. No real rush to go back to working life, Play poker all night, watch the kids and go to school during the day.

Not such a bad life really. The thing is that most of the people who worked for me and above me really didn't have credintials because of the ebvironment. We were all overworked, overenthusiastic go getters, that went and got. So in my past work experience it wouldn't have ment much at all. I have a feeling the real world may be slightly different.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: How useful is a masters in CS

Hey slav:

I am exactly halfway through my MS in CS. Right after undergrad (97), I thought seriously about an MBA - even applied and got into a couple of top programs.

Now, I'm glad I stuck on the technical track, but that's just me. I obviously work in the business world, but technical work makes me much happier than management (project, people or otherwise).

I think the potential is probably higher with an MBA (from a good program), but in the end it will depend on what you're most interested in. Personally, I couldn't stand 2 years of finance, accounting, etc. etc. classes.

JC
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 AM

Masters is CS is worthless IMO. It's all about the experience and the certifications. You'd be much better off getting an MBA if you want an extra degree above the bachelor's.

I've been out of school for 2 years and honestly I haven't been impressed with anyone I've met who has had a Masters in CS. Not that there aren't brilliant people out there getting them... it's just much more useful to have extra experience and/or something attractive for future management/team leads positions.

KoW
Old 08-29-2005, 01:54 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i haven't seen anybody look at a masters in CS other than, "oh, you have an MCS? neat."
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Yeah, also forgot to add. I wouldn't worry about either degree if it's not something you're really interested in (vs. wanting it as another item on the resume). I am already fairly high up on the career ladder, but my boss has only an HS diploma, so I'm not doing it for advancement. I actually have a non-technical bachelors so I wanted more of a theoretical basis in CS (vs. the practical experience I've gotten over the last 8+ yrs).