Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Cheapest way to find out where you are

If you are deep, playing it in the last line you give and losing half your stack isn't tragic. You are deep, you have time to come back.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 AM

There is no magical answer here, and I'm not really sure what you are looking for. Someone raises you call with TT flop comes low and unncoordinated and you get potted into... This requires you to play poker. Make a read and go from there. If you think your opponent has a hand he will call a raise with that you are ahead of, then raise. Or if you think your opponent will be so aggressive as to put you into situations down the road where if you call his bet, he may bluff you off the best hand later (IE you are vulnerable), then raise. If you think your opponent has a hand like AK that he will no longer put any money into the pot unless he improves, then raise. If you think your opponent is bluffing and will continue to bluff then call.....

I mean... Your question is essentially asking us 'how do I play poker'.

And oh yeah. In general if you tend to raise 1/2 your stack here with overpairs on the flop, it seems absolutely terrible to fold to a reraise, given the general texture of the fields in these tourneys.

-Jason
Old 08-01-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We just discussed something related in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the same Dave.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We just discussed something related in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the same Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this one?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to re-pop PF w/ JJ and TT if I'm in position as it make the later streets easier to play. OOP, I'll flat call and proceed carefully trying to keep the pot small if the board is scary.

I re-pop because that gets me the lead and then I can let my opponent's imagination put me on a larger hand, then I can take down a lot of K or even A high flops with a cont-bet. I can also fold to a re-raise in good conscience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the best way to proceed is do exactly what Woodguy said, if you are a preflop type player. You can get a lot of information and maybe take it down versus AJ or lower.

I would definitely like to see a flop with JJ or 1010. That is why I tend to call with this type of action, especially if you are a post-flop player. If you play it post-flop by calling his raise, then I think you should check-raise if all unders flop. I would be prepared to push if he goes AI. If you run into KK or such, so be it. Doing what Woodguy says eliminates all the A-x players. I would hate to see an ace flop and lose to some trashy ace.

Again, checkraising will also make your opponent pay for the turn card. You don't want him to see the turn for free. Hopefully, he doesn't check behind you.

The only problem with calling pf is you have absolutely no information on your opponents hand. If you are good at reading the board and putting him on a range of hands, then calling the pf raise is the best option.

Since, I suck at pre-flop play and post-flop play I am usually in a world of hurt!!!

Stipe
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Solid raise meaning from a reasonable player?

I call pre flop most of the time, raise the all under flop, and let it go if he comes back over the top.

If it goes bet/raise/call, and we are still deep enough for two bets, I like checking behind on the turn if checked to. I don't like giving free cards here, but I like playing a big pot with one pair less. If he sticks around on the flop, my plan is to see the river cheaply unless I spike my set. If we are now in a situation where one reasonable bet puts one of us all in, that just sucks and I need some idea about whether villain can bluff on the river if I show weakness on the turn. That is just a tough spot.