Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Poker Tracker discovery about my game/perhaps NL game in general

I was looking at my session notes and I noticed that I am a much bigger winner at evening/night sessions. Also I do better in games that don't last more than 3 hours usually. I tend to have some losing sessions during the daytime or if I play for too long (loss of focus, etc). So I really have no reason to play during the day, I should stick to night sessions and keep them at 1-3 hours in length.

Several factors in play here -
1. I probably am more awake and aware at night than earlier in the day.
2. There are probably more players playing at night since most people work daytime, so more bad players.
3. Shorter sessions mean you won't lose focus easily.

This info may not surprise most of you, but I think this is going to be a huge boost to my winrate. We shall see. Does anyone else notice any trends like this in their games?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker discovery about my game/perhaps NL game in general

i usually will not play more than 3 hours at a time, because my concentration is a bit off after that, especially when 3-4 tabling.

weekends (friday and saturday nights) should be more profitable as many people may play drunk.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 AM

Starting this past week I cut out the afternoon session completely. No reason to play in the afternoon for me. Games aren't as good, and it wears me out for the night. I try and play 9PM -3AM (+/- 1 hour), the games seem to be best then.

I don't seem to have the fatigue after a few hours like some of you talk about, but I'm listening to music the whole time, and doing a bunch of other things, so maybe that's why, plus full ring is a lot less intense than 6max...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:53 AM

Game selection & shifting gears are probably the least mentioned critical skills that I've found for myself in making $ at poker. The day games are beatable but you need to shift gears in the style that you play. During the day when it's a bunch of tight multitablers in full ring games you need to be more aggressive stealing and blasting Ciaffone's 'Sand fleas' off of their mid pairs when you miss with big cards but still have some backdoor draws & overs and you're relatively certain they don't have a real hand and dump even bottom set when some nit all of a sudden discovers an urge to get it all in on a board with no likely draws.

Shift your play at night to focusing on position bets & steals, avoiding domminated hands, playing tricky draws & extracting maximum value on turn and river at night when the tables are looser and have more loose/weak players.

I use several different accounts for this, it really helps me to remember I'm logged into a certain account to play a specific style based on my table situation.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 AM

I love PT. I also stopped playing afternoon sessions after looking up the session notes tab on PT. Its generally accepted that afternoon games are tight and very boring(especially the party 2000 full ring!).

If I do play the afternoon sessions, I am willing to give up one buyin to create a LAGish image and I get calls when I do have legitimate hands. Keep firing them and watch the tight wads get flustered.

Friday and Saturday nights are the best.

Heres a strange thing I noticed in my pattern of play. I used to lose consistently on wednesdays evenings, mostly due to tilt. I am not exactly sure why this has to be the case but its true. Some mid-week blues or something. You might find it funny but I am still trying to figure out the mystery wednesdays.I know its tilt but why do I tilt! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 PM

It's good to know there is something to my discovery that several of you see as well about the day/night differences. I agree changing gears is quite helpful when playing the same players with some frequency. You gotta keep them off balance if possible. Like making a big bluff at the right time using a previously very tight image. Thanks for your input, everybody.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Probably redundant but I'll back this up. My day sessions are far less profitable than night sessions for obvious reasons. However if you shift gears you can still make a fair amount.