Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-30-2005, 11:41 AM

Default For once I fold...but maybe I shouldn\'ta?

Interesting hand last night at a 1-2 nl home game…
Aggressive player, but pretty solid, is on my left (he might even read these forums…anyway, I hope not!) We both have about 250. In mp with AQd. There is a live straddle, so there’s 4 extra $$ in the pot. I limp, (bleh, I know, but this is a limpy game…) he raises 20. Big raise right? But not too unusual for him, he might just be trying to isolate the straddler who’s a pretty loose player.

Folded back to me. I call. Probably mistake #2. I always am tempted to take flops against tricky players heads-up, and sometimes this kills me.

Flop Q63 all clubs. First to act…I bet 50. He ponders ponders, feints like he’s gonna fold…calls. To me it seemed like a real decision but it mighta been Hollywood.

Turn: j clubs. YUCK. I check, he goes all in, I fold.

He later claimed to have AA with-OUT the A of clubs, and that he “knew” I had AQ without a club. I’m starting to suspect that he had 99 or something, and that he just sensed my weakness re: the 4th club…

What do y’all think: what does this pattern suggest that he had?

Should I have bet the turn? I really thought he was thinking about calling on the flop cuz he had a club, but that might have just been defeatism…

Maybe I should have check raised the flop?

Dunno. I’m new to NL ring games…In limit this hand’s pretty easy…Raise all the way! Heheh.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: For once I fold...but maybe I shouldn\'ta?

Hmmm, no one responds...

1.The answer is obvious.
2.The answer is boring.
3. The answer is too complex for OP's tiny mind.
4. The OP is secretly reviled.
5. The OP is secretly admired by all posters.
6. Both 3 and 5
Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 PM

How many players at the table right now? Normally you will want to raise AQs, especially if there is extra $ in the pot. Limping and then calling this very large raise PF out of position is not very good. Postflop I think you played it pretty well, you could try a checkraise but this line is fine. The pot is already getting large and the turn and river would be tough to play if he calls the CR. On turn, its pretty read dependant..if you think he was pondering drawing odds on the flop a check is good to see how he responds. In the future you may want to check your draws that hit or your good made hands to this player on the turn because he seems to get very aggressive when he thinks you're weak...
Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have to agree with you about pre-flop play, I seem to make this mistake over and over...I have semi-strong hands but I always want to take a flop...

But I still think I coulda check raised to win the pot on the flop. If he's got AKc good luck to me...but otherwise I win right there...He's probly smart enough to toss AA at that point. Or 99 or TT or whatever else he might have.

We were 11 handed by the way...so everyone was playing ultra passive. There was a lot of raising with JT suited and limping with JJ if you know what I mean.