Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Live One in A Live Game

So this one’s been haunting me…my first hand posting to 2+2, so please let me know if I get something wrong…

1-2 Blinds NL Home Game. 10 Handed. This guys sits down and raises 4/5 hands. Sometimes makes a cont. bet on flop, sometimes check/folds…so it would appear he’s pretty loose. Always makes it 6 pf. We both have about 100$.

I’m on the button with Kd, Jh. He’s in MP, raises to 6. I call, S and BB fold.

Flop Jd5c8c.

He checks. Usually I’d make a feeler bet, but he’s giving me the eyeball, which to me says: please bet! So I figure I’m done with the hand, check. At this point I really see him on a big pair. Turn Jc. Now what?

He checks, I bet 25, he raises 25. The only way I’m behind is AKc in my opinion, cuz I really don’t make him for 88 or 55, but then I have NO IDEA. The dude just sat down! I move all-in for ~45 more. I guess I thought too long about it so he calls. He’s got AA with the A of clubs. River is a club. Boohoo me. I’ve never been so generous to a guys who busted me…I really felt bad about sucking out in the first place!

There were so many factors in this hand; I don’t know where to begin with my questions! I was a big dog on every street except the one where I got my money in, but KJ is a real bogus call if the guys not a fish, right? I think I made a good read on the flop…after my check behind he gave me this certain glare that should be in Caro’s BoT: “I have aces, so I hate to see more cards come off cheap!” Somehow I feel that I made a mistake, but where exactly? Even if I knew for sure that he had what he had, should I have gambled when I did? Now I’m just rambling…The main thing is as a post from earlier indicated...should you even bother getting into ANY hands with newcomers to a game, especially if they seem to be loose? It might be a good rule of thumb to let others test their reality, unless you've got thee Nuts...

Thanks in advance…
Old 06-28-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Live One in A Live Game

calling raises with KJo in a ten handed game is generally not a good idea.. gets you into trouble like this
Old 06-28-2005, 06:07 PM

I think the call is fine. If the guy is raising 4 out of 5 hands, usually KJ is ahead. I don't think you played this bad at al. Good check on the flop when you thought you were beat. You were ahead when the money went in. I don't think there's much you can do.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 PM

KJo isn't THAT bad.....

Old 06-29-2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the advice...but I still think my best move is to just raise pre-f to see where he's at...he repops it,and I'm done. PLUS: from now on I'm staying out of big pots with newcomers till I've seen them show down a hand or two...

Thanks again...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM

I think this is a good idea. Just play tight, ABC, poker when you first sit down. Maybe he raised 4 hands in a row because he got dealt AA-QQ four hands in a row. I wait until I see someone show down something questionable or make WAY too many plays over more than a few hands before I stop giving them credit for TAG play. I'm mucking preflop here for sure.