Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Would a pot size bet have a +EV with this Q10s?

The push might be +cEV, but maybe not. I prefer the check/call-if-I'm-getting-odds line.

Betting 1/2 - 3/4 pot to try and take it down isn't bad if you are HU, isn't terrible into 2 other people, but I don't like it into 3 people.

Overbetting the pot is trouble. You will commit yourself to the pot. The only reason to do it is because your opponents would assume a push is a draw and by intentionally committing yourself to the hand without pushing you have shown great strength. I think that is overthinking low buyin opponents that you are unfamiliar with.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM

I think that bet is awful.

It's very dangerous to semi-bluff more than one opponent, let alone three. It's also probably poor to bet out on this flop without any sort of made hand. You only have a strong draw, and there's a solid chance that your Q out is counterfeited.

If you're going to go all-in, I prefer a check-raise semi-bluff, which will represent to most players 2 pair or trips.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another line to take is to check raise as a semi-bluff in this situation. This allows you to get other chips into the pot and then take control of the betting on future rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt think about this option, I like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How effective do yo think this line would be in a party $10+1?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my original post I don't really believe your hand with that board is that strong, however... if you feel that your hand is indeed that strong then this is a viable line to take in order to get chips in the pot.

How effective do I think this is at the Party $10+1? Not very in my experience. The problem with a large percentage of low limit Party players seems to be a reluctance to release a hand once they have invested chips from the flop on. I never cease to be amazed by what I see folks show down at lower limits, because they feel they were 'pot committed' after investing 75+ chips in a pot. Or just because they figured you were 'bluffing' with the check raise.

I still feel that the best line to take in this situation is to check and then call a small bet, but fold to any real strength.