Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Problems with Tournement Theory and ICM

[ QUOTE ]

99% of the time I think that's just false. Mostly there is simply confusion about what the theory says or doesn't say.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that 99% is the correct number, but if it is I am talking about the other 1%. But you knew that. Damn, are you an attorney?!?

Edit: Oh, and on the advancement thing, I was speaking from a personal poker growth standpoint. Obviously if someone believed something that was infact not true was dogma, then he would not be able to advance. That was my point.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do on some occasions. Don't take my word for it. Daniel N. (And many others) has said it many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean they are right? No. It just means that they don't have a mathematical formulation for what they are doing. The mathematics of EV, at the very least, underlies all of poker. I really don't see any other way around it. Trying to figure out how to assess your EV is very tricky, but that's all it is. The models we have are tools for guessing what that EV may be. With extremely precise reads, the models become irrelevant because you can make simple, direct calculations about what will happen. Good intuitive players do not need to make these calculations explicitly.

[ QUOTE ]
The mathematical models we have for the game today are inadequate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anybody is arguing that they are a complete solution to the problem, but they are excellent tools that have their places.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't see that, fine. Most of the scholars in the world used to think it was flat, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the condescending garbage. I hereby nominate you as the Christopher Columbus of poker. Perhaps some lucky Ferdinand can finance your voyage of discovery.

[ QUOTE ]
One specific problem which may be wrong: 10 players, 1st hand you bet 3xBB with AKo first in from the SB, BB puts you all-in and you see his hand: 22. Current models say you should fold. What I am suggesting is that a player of a certain skill with the bigstack should call the all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not make the models wrong, this makes them inapplicable to particular situations.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 PM

You have an appropriate nick.