Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 01-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Interesting Omaha Observation

Maybe many people are aware of this fact about Omaha already, but it just occured to me last night and I haven't noticed it mentioned anywhere else.

First, in Holdem trips on the flop with a pocket pair and trips on the flop with a pair on the board both have the same odds to fill up or make quads by the river. For this reason, trips with a pair is a much better hand, because of its deceptive nature.

Now trips with a pocket pair in Omaha has slightly better odds to fill up or make quads by the river than in Holdem (because you have seen 2 more cards assuming you don't have another board card in you hand which would hurt you), but trips with a pair on the board has a significantly better chance to fill up or make quads by the river.

In both Holdem ways to make trips and in the pocket pair trips of Omaha you have 7 outs to hit on the turn and if you miss, 10 outs on the river. In the Omaha case where you have trips with a pair on the board, you have 10 outs on both the turn and the river to fill up or make quads. Once again notice that this is totally destroyed by having a pocket pair along with the card you made trips with a board pair since now you have only 6 outs to improve on both the turn and river. This seems to suggest some added weakness to having pocket pairs in Omaha that people may not have considered.

This final principle is purely empirical. In 7 stud I will get trips by 4th street approximately once every 10000 hands in Omaha I will have trips in my hole cards approximately once every 10 hands.