Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: How would you play this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop - check is perfectly fine. Every once in awhile I tend to RR in this situation to around 110 or so - but i play on UB, so with the shallower stacks a limp is more frequent a play.

I like the postflop bet - you have a solid hand at this point and most times i feel a bet like that takes the pot. However, the two callers are some cause for concern. With that said, why bet the turn? Overcard aside, someone - especially the second caller - might very well have a flush here. I check the turn, probably check-fold it unless the betting gets pretty questionable - a min bet for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN. the other half of the time i would do this too
Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 PM

If you want some one to explain it here it goes. You have very little understanding of proper strategy in the Party Sng's. You should never take big risks early on because a good player will have a bigger edge later in the tourney than in the beginning of a tourney. Raising 10 10 out of the blinds and getting pot committed to the hand is exactly what you don't want to do, especially when the whole table has limped to you. Play for set value by checking preflop.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want some one to explain it here it goes. You have very little understanding of proper strategy in the Party Sng's. You should never take big risks early on because a good player will have a bigger edge later in the tourney than in the beginning of a tourney. Raising 10 10 out of the blinds and getting pot committed to the hand is exactly what you don't want to do, especially when the whole table has limped to you. Play for set value by checking preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i finish 7-10th less than 20% of the time. and everyone keeps talking about pushing edges early on.
and maybe im too used to STARS FTP AND UB stacks.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:05 PM

You could check-raise the flop, but I doubt that gets enough chips in the middle.

I play this the same way you did, I think you played it perfectly.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i finish 7-10th less than 20% of the time. and everyone keeps talking about pushing edges early on.
and maybe im too used to STARS FTP AND UB stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to hate on you or put you down but what stakes do you play? I'm pretty sure I have read that you play the 5's or the 10's. Much weaker competition in these games. Some moves that you can pull in these games would be punished by the good players in the 1000 chip games. When you have limpers to you in the higher buy in games they aren't gonna call your raise with trash like they do in the games you play. You will be getting paid off alot less and raped for your stack much more.