Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 PM

Default 7S HU W/ LAPP on 3rd steal , call or fold ?

Assume you are a good player for the stakes.

Your heads up with the bring in who is a loose aggressive poor player who defends 4/5 of his bring ins. The steal is offering you 4 to 3 but you have little. Assume he plays a normally poor game from then on.

Pg. 26 of 7CSFAP suggests calling and explains that you are getting 4:1 which makes it correct. However because the bring in is a larger portion of the small bet than in the game structures described in that work you are only getting 2.3:1.

Do you :

1. go ahead and call ( what hands do you think it is correct to call here with ) laying your opponent infinite odds

2. Raise. cutting your opponent down to 4.6:1 remember he calls at least 80% of all here.

3. Fold and give up the 2.3:1/ 1.3:1 shot calling / raising would give you.

how would this change if the player were significantly less skilled then you but couldn't be described as poor.

Please provide an array of example hands which you believe would be correct to call with for each opponent. a brief explanation per hand type is encouraged.

cc UPF/WPDG/RGP

Just my few cents

timmer
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: 7S HU W/ LAPP on 3rd steal , call or fold ?

[ QUOTE ]
Assume you are a good player for the stakes.

Your heads up with the bring in who is a loose aggressive poor player who defends 4/5 of his bring ins. The steal is offering you 4 to 3 but you have little. Assume he plays a normally poor game from then on.

Pg. 26 of 7CSFAP suggests calling and explains that you are getting 4:1 which makes it correct. However because the bring in is a larger portion of the small bet than in the game structures described in that work you are only getting 2.3:1.

Do you :

1. go ahead and call ( what hands do you think it is correct to call here with ) laying your opponent infinite odds

2. Raise. cutting your opponent down to 4.6:1 remember he calls at least 80% of all here.

3. Fold and give up the 2.3:1/ 1.3:1 shot calling / raising would give you.

how would this change if the player were significantly less skilled then you but couldn't be described as poor.

Please provide an array of example hands which you believe would be correct to call with for each opponent. a brief explanation per hand type is encouraged.

cc UPF/WPDG/RGP

Just my few cents

timmer

[/ QUOTE ]
in the above post the pot is laying you 2.6:1 for the flat call rather than 2.3:1 ante is $1 bring $5 limits $10-$20
Old 09-04-2004, 09:56 AM

You don't ask for much do you timmer?
If i could give a full answer to your scenario, then id write a book on the subject.
If this situation was a frequent occurence in my game, then id find a new game to play.
Sorry this is no help.
It's a good question, thought id give you a bump up.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:53 PM

I takled with Andy Bloc on this question that according Andy and to game theory you should raise every time if this person only calls 80%

I DIDNT TELL HIM THAT THIS GUY OFTEN RERAISES. There is some discussion on this topic in HEPFAP but I dont want to go there at this time and in this thread.

Conventional wisdom tells you to call with strong hands early and to raise more liberally when an aggressive player attacks on early betting rounds. So....

Perhaps you should call or 3 bet with strong hands and so so hands. raise and then call with medium hands. raise then fold with the really bad hands. of course the few simply terrible hands left probably should just be folded.

You are mixing it up enough to make putting you on either a steal or a legit hand really really tough. The observnt opponents should be confused as well. This is a player you would likely go out of your way to get on your right.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my refrigerator

timmer