Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Default recording an album

today my band begins a task that destroys most bands - we're starting the album -

I've gotten 2 hrs sleep, and I'm about to get up and go over and start the recording process for 6 songs...

here we go....anyone have any good studio stories they like to share? - My fav. is doing one and the engineer/owner of the place had liquor DELIVERED to the studio -

This will be self produced/recorded, but of course, of the stuff that isn't, the Mixerman diaries became folklore. LOL.

RB
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: recording an album

Just finished recording/mastering, but no good stories were involved. Only hard work.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 AM

My avatar says "Why didn't you guys fly to London and rent out my houseboat studio Astoria?"
Old 10-09-2005, 11:51 AM

Its been many years since I set foot in a studio. It's kinda hard to remember back then (too much smoke up the chimmney [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). I do recall that once I was having problem with a short in my guitar or cable. It started picking up a radio station. After I recorded my track, we were playing it back and you could hear The Doobie Bros. "Listen to the Music" playing in the background.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:50 PM

I hope you have a good singer.

We had 4-6 hours to do everything. The band got everything laid down within the first hour to hour and a half. Then the singer came in and took the remaining time to do the vocals.

Im doing another album sometime this winter with a singer who has never recorded before and has no real experience with actually "singing"

BTW for home stuff I highly recommend getting a USB interface for your computer and a nice microphone or two. MOst of the interfaces come with good recording software (CuBase, Protools) and create a very high quality sound for the price (about 300-400 for a good one). Recordindg drums can be a real pain though.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We had 4-6 hours to do everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What kind of band and how many songs are you talking about?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM

We recorded ours at a studio called Rockfield (Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded there), The bloke who owned the studio was often sitting in with us to watch us record. On several occasions he had this old looking balding guy with him,a friend of his. We didn't really take much notice of him. It was only after that we found out that the friend was Dave Grilmour aka Pink Floyd guitarist and we were completely oblivious to it all those times.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We recorded ours at a studio called Rockfield (Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded there), The bloke who owned the studio was often sitting in with us to watch us record. On several occasions he had this old looking balding guy with him,a friend of his. We didn't really take much notice of him. It was only after that we found out that the friend was Dave Grilmour aka Pink Floyd guitarist and we were completely oblivious to it all those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding...
Old 10-09-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
today my band begins a task that destroys most bands - we're starting the album -

I've gotten 2 hrs sleep, and I'm about to get up and go over and start the recording process for 6 songs...

here we go....anyone have any good studio stories they like to share? - My fav. is doing one and the engineer/owner of the place had liquor DELIVERED to the studio -

This will be self produced/recorded, but of course, of the stuff that isn't, the Mixerman diaries became folklore. LOL.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

RB,

Good luck. How much are going to charge. I want a pre-release copy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM

Dirk: Look, man, all we need is the tapes, all right?

Record Producer: No, you don't get the tapes until you've paid.

Dirk: In our situation, that doesn't make any [censored] sense.

Reed Rothchild: Look, we can not pay for the tapes, unless we take the tapes to the record company, and get paid.

Dirk: Hello? Exactly.

Record Producer: That's not an MP, that's a YP, your problem. Come up with the money, or forget it.

Reed Rothchild: Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are a uh um oh, you own them, all right, but the magic that is on those tapes. That [censored] heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like assholes, man.