Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: My Xbox is dying

[ QUOTE ]
just go on ebay and buy a new drive, but DON'T get the Thomson drive, which is a POS. just pop the top and plug it in. all the box is is a motherboard, a DVD drive and a regular computer HDD. I modded mine up, which only ran me like $150 and a week of research. it's sick though. I go to Blockbuster, rent games, and rip them onto my box. I also have hundreds of movies. basically all you need is at www.xbox-scene.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Of course I knew all that already. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regardless, just buying the laser would have been the cheapest option. I refuse to spend anything over about $75 to fix the machine. That's half the cost of a new system.

But yeah, as far as a new drive goes, check out the last post I made that bumped this thread all the way to the top. I think you will like my selection.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:56 PM

Why are you trying to fix this, just to to Wal-Mart and buy a new Xbox.

Tools Needed: One razor blade, One Hair Dryer, One roll of clear 3M packing Tape, One can of rubber cement(optional).

Heat the circle clear sticker with hair dryer, remove sticker gently with razor blade open Xbox.

Take note of exactly how everything is packed then harvest what you need repacking old pieces exact.

Remove Xbox console from bag gently remove clear scratch protection decal on top.

Have old f-ed up Xbox ready, turn over remove Serial# decal gently with razor blade. Repeat with new Xbox. Swap stickers.

Take old Xbox apply scratch protection decal, shrink back on with hair dryer, put back in bag and reseat in foam. Repack box exact.

Close back box, reapply round clear sticker to open tab.(It also works better to dab some rubber cement on before, and dry with hair dryer.)

Return to Wal-Mart.

*Note this is for educational purpose only. I have never done this*
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Man, people have some messed up ways of trying to cheat companies.

I mean, I hate large companies as much as the next guy, but I'm not willing to be a cheat to get what I want.

Originally, the $20 wasn't going to be worth dealing with a new system. Now that the price has gone up, you may have a point.

But I'm not going that route. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 05:07 PM

Damn, and i thought i was an [censored]. You're a piece of work dude.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Success!

My new drive arrived sooner than expected.
It's all installed and working like a charm!

Man, this thing is so much faster than stock xbox drives.

You guys know how good Halo 2 is with loading times, yes?
Well there is still that one loading screen when you first pop in the game (before the main menu).

With the new drive, it doesn't even get a chance to put that loading screen on the TV. It's literally that fast.

This is great. No more dirty disc errors, and incredible performance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm quite happy.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Success!

[ QUOTE ]
My new drive arrived sooner than expected.
It's all installed and working like a charm!

Man, this thing is so much faster than stock xbox drives.

You guys know how good Halo 2 is with loading times, yes?
Well there is still that one loading screen when you first pop in the game (before the main menu).

With the new drive, it doesn't even get a chance to put that loading screen on the TV. It's literally that fast.

This is great. No more dirty disc errors, and incredible performance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm quite happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is your last post as AngryCola? When can we expect to hear from EcstaticPop?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

cool man. Tweaking game systems sometimes doesn't work out worth a damn. Glad this time it did.