Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 01:26 AM

Default ? for the shrinks: why do players do THIS....?

There's a seat open. It's been open for over an hour. We play on, nine-handed.

Finally, a new player arrives, rack of chips in hand, and is about to sit. What do you think happens at this instant?

"Dealer, I want that seat!!!!"

Usually followed by another player who says, "No, **I** want that seat, and the rules say that since I've been here longer than you, that it's mine!"

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS??? It drives me nuts! That seat has been available for an HOUR, and nobody wanted it until the new player arrived.

Please, somebody explain this one to me.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: ? for the shrinks: why do players do THIS....?

Why should playing with people not based in reality bother you? I would think it makes a better game.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:50 AM

The arrival of a new player forces the moment of decision and amplifies whatever anxiety the player has about missing out on their choice.

It's the same reason why the last piece of cake is so much more desirable than just a normal second piece. Oh, sure, you could have just taken two, but you didn't know how urgent it would feel when the option of more cake was about to be taken away from you.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:50 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

one reason observant players will do this 'after' they find out who is coming into the game in reference to how they want to position themselves to the adjusted table with the new player coming in. especially if he's a live one.

OR they do it just to bother you. gives them a thrill seeing ya tense up. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] breaks the monotany of the game.

b

Old 01-12-2004, 01:58 AM

when in doubt people are idiots
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 AM

They may want that seat because of the player who is about to sit. Sitting to this player's left/right might be a very useful tool for future play. I think another, less frequent reason, is that people are jerks.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:18 PM

They do it because they are JERKS.

Good dealers and floorpeople will NOT let them have it once the new player has claimed it in ANY fashion.

al
Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM

It's the "Law of Scarcity" and the "Law of Supply and Demand" at work as bisonbison explained using the last piece of cake as an example. I've seen this happen many times on eBay. When there is still 4 days left for an item there are no bids. Then during the last 30 minutes there is a feeding frenzy. Same thing happens when car dealerships make "limited time offer below invoice" price deals. As Robert Cialdini has said, "Scarcity creates urgency".

I am not implying that the sit which has been open for an hour should be auctioned off to the 5 jerks that suddenly want it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 06:21 PM

Happened to me yesterday. I had to stand around and pick my nose (after standing around and picking my nose FOR AN HOUR WAITING FOR A TABLE) for 3 hands before this lady was allowed to move to the seat of her dreams on the non-smoker side of the table so that I could wedge myself between 3 smokers with 2 more behind me waiting for a table (sat with my back to the ropes).

I'm going to have to start going with a gas mask.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:19 PM

If they know the player coming in, they may be absolutely right to want that seat. For example, if changing seats would put a maniac on their right, while staying put would put him on their left, they SHOULD fight for the seat.
If the new player is a chain smoker, drunk, or babbler, they may want to get away from him or put him where he will have the least negative effect. For example, if the smoke would blow from seat 3 into my face, but I would not feel it in seat 3, I'd ask for a change to seat 3.
If they don't know the new player, I have no explanation for their behavior.

Regards,

Al