Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 12:51 PM

Default not showing losers

so last night I got a set of kings cracked by 57s on the river. the thing that upset me most about the hand was that I felt compelled to show my cards, despite the fact that the winning hand had already been tabled. I am normally good about never showing losers, but I find it particularly hard to do after a rough beat.

anyone else have this problem? I am inspired by tommy's posts to work on stuff like this, but this has been a sticking point for me that is hard psychologically for some reason.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-30-2003, 12:54 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: not showing losers

Repeat after me: "Ouch, that beats bottom pair. Nice hand sir." Toss hand directly into the muck.

Rinse and repeat.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:04 PM

Winning is a communal experience: everyone sees your good cards, your good play, your good fortune. And you keep busy, stacking and smiling and talking while the dealer shuffles and gives out the next hand.

Losing is a solitary experience: nobody else can truly experience your pain as your good cards and good play turn to dust against some idiot. And you just have to sit there with nothing to do but feel bad and watch the other guy stack all those chips that should have been yours. So we all feel the compulsion to share the bad news, to have the others see what a tough beat it was, how unfair life is, to relieve ourselves of a bit of the pain by sharing it.

It's only a poker hand. There's be another in a minute or so. Think about people who really have had bad breaks in life concerning things for which there won't be another in a minute or so. And think about how you yourself have cracked a set of kings drawing short.

Beware Entitlement Disease. [Thanks to Tommy for that wonderful phrase that has become a anti-mantra in our household.] You're not entitled to win the hand because you have three of a kind. Be thankful and humble when you do win and imagine I'm looking over your shoulder watching how you react both when you win and when you lose.

This too shall pass.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:05 PM

I like Slavic's line. Showing the table your pocket kings would give them the impression you are a tight player who only plays premium hands and make everyone at the table less likely to call you. Wouldn't that hurt your earn rate?

If you don't show, they may think that you and this guy are both LOOSE AGGRESSIVE idiots. And when you have KK, they may chase you with lousy cards.

It's the opposite of the advice a Church-going mom might give to her high school-aged daughter. At the poker table, you want to project a loose image.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the poker table, you want to project a loose image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather have a tight image that everyone is scared of.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:24 PM

No. The ideal for making money would be you play only AA and KK and they think you have 2,3 offsuit. Though hard to maintain this image very long.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:45 PM

great post! slavic's line is good also. next time, the cards are going straight in the muck, set of kings or not.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-30-2003, 03:16 PM

I'd rather be able to win pots by betting a mediocre hand than have people hang around on my Big hands. I generally get dealt hands like AJ and KQ a lot more than AA and KK and would like people to just hand over the pot without a lot of hassle.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather be able to win pots by betting a mediocre hand than have people hang around on my Big hands. I generally get dealt hands like AJ and KQ a lot more than AA and KK and would like people to just hand over the pot without a lot of hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd rather people think I was a super tightass. I may play good cards, but the flop still misses me an awful lot.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:10 PM

i guess we all have our preferences, but i love the maniac image. i often raise and reraise the first hand i get dealt at the table, regardless of what it is, just to create a maniac image.

sometimes just my action alone is enough to project this image, and of course sometimes i end up sucking out to win my first hand with J6o when i make trips on the turn.. it's the best thing ever to have all the so called pros at your table think you're a total idiot.