Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Thoughts on Annie Duke..........

The problem with the personal attacks is that they are one way. Annie is a poker celebrity and when she does or says something dumb, everybody hears about it. Annie has admitted to making mistakes... In fact, she has come on this forum and admitted them, yet people can't let go of it.

The problem is that Annie really can't fight back. When we screw up, it isn't documented for the whole poker community to hear about. So people get to say terrible things about her while she can only say, ya, I was wrong, let's move on.. How would you feel if a couple times each year someone walked up behind you and hit you in the head with a 2 X 4 and then ran away? Its really not fair, right, cause you can't fight back?

When GOTMILK was on WPT, some comments were made about his girlfriend.. the comments weren't as bad as some of the things said about Duke, but they were out of line.. I actually didn't think so at the time. I do now, because I realize GOTMILK can't fight back. Our girlfriends aren't on TV for everyone to see.. So someone who hasn't been laid in 5 years is sitting behind his monitor typing "ya, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole..." no one really said that, but I'm sure you get my point..

If Annie does something dumb in the future, let's talk about her actions, and not her. For instance we could have said, "LMAO, Ben Affleck's World Class..." see the difference?

If I had a camera on me for five minutes I'm sure I would say something dumb that I would later regret..

Annies taken some serious heat on here, but she keeps coming back. She wants to be part of the community. She's got some pretty thick skin and amazing poker talent. She deserves our respect, not our scorn.

Beermoney.

PS.. I still think its cool to make fun of "the crew" though.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Annie Duke..........

I agree. Moreover, since she is now a member of our forum, I think that flaming her should be treated just as flaming any other member and possibly result in banning.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:52 AM

Honestly, I didnt read your entire post, but I got the gist and agree. I am by no means an expert poker player, but love to play the game and enjoy learning about the game. It can be frustrating as a new poster on this site just having to deal with the pompous attitudes and nasty replies to some "stupid" questions that people put up on the forum. This personally hasnt really happened to me, but I dont post that often. However, regardless of one's perception of Ms. Duke, it is not only unfair to make vicious personal attacks against the women, but the disparaging remarks about her--too many to quote--are completely out of line.
Personally, I enjoy having another successful pro posting his/her thoughts on the same site that I occasionally post on and go to in hopes of enhancing my poker game.
Oh yeah, not only is it childlike, but it is a TOTALLY PUSSY thing to do, attacking someone personally via a chat room or internet forum--period, some people really need to set time aside for some serious introspection and come to terms with their own insecurities before projecting these faults onto others.

Have a nice day. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Good post.. As I was clicking it, I was thinking to myself, God all this stuff is getting old.

I dont expect all posts to stop about her or any other known poker professional. A good reality check like this one is in order though. She is a big girl, and I am happy to see she handles it well.

If all of you would stop berating her , you might learn something from her. All I see is drama drama drama. I cant say I am innocent either. I cant say I am a huge Annie Duke fan, but I dont dislike her either. She would kick my ass at the table, and I have respect for her.

All of you want-to-be poker pros that have never played a live game keep buying into a drama fest. A lot of you are like little girls watching your afternoon soaps.

If you want to stand up to Annie Duke, get yourself 10k and buy into the next tourney. Try to outplay her. Dont cower behind the internet acting like a little ....

This post is not directed at anyone in particular. I cant even recall a single name that has said anything. Ive read stuff, Ive posted stuff myself. (nothing degrading that I recall)
Old 08-20-2004, 01:32 AM

Here's what I think.

I think people are more than happy to knock players that aren't around, famous or not. But when they show their faces around here, a lot of people start feeling obligated to defend them.

Annie can defend herself perfectly well if she so chooses, by reading up on assinine posts we have made or by pointing out that she makes more playing cards every week than most of us do in a year. She may feel she is taking the high road by not doing this, and she may be right, as a lot of you would think she was being arrogant. I would think she was perfectly correct to start busting heads if she felt so inclined though. Or challenging people to heads-up matches.

People attack other posters for what they view as really out of line comments or actions. Why should Annie Duke be any exception? I for one haven't really taken issue with her public behavior or cardplaying ability, but some people do, as is their right.

NT
Old 08-20-2004, 01:37 AM

"by reading up on *assinine* posts"

Ahh...I get a kick out of these things
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 AM

Sorry for the joke at your expense, but my point is that this is a forum--mainly--to discuss poker. And while this site may have other purposes I do not think this forum was ever intended to make insulting, juvenile, disparaging remarks about anyone personally--their poker game is another story.
Also, and once again, it is a cowardly thing to do, saying nasty things about people through this medium, especially about a female.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:58 AM

Why aren't other professional players faced with the same problem? You don't see her brother trying to answer for his bad behavior because he doesn't behave that way. And when someone acts like a dick to others repeatedly, why is it improper for people to call them on it publicly?

People are free to try and defend themselves. Maybe the fact that she can't change anyone's mind has more to do with the fact that her critics are right and less to do with how defenseless she is in the situation.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:36 AM

I went away from forums for quite a long time. Discussing hands and such just wasn't doing anything for my poker game. I come back, and I am shocked and appalled at this place. I went on, mainly, to check discussions on some of the WPT and WSOP events, and what dominates? People taking personal shots at Annie Duke. You see this anywhere on the internet. Children, teenagers, adults who have the maturity level of children or teenagers, hide behind a computer, and and dish out insults. Where are the moderators? Why is this ok now? This is a poker site, designed to discuss poker, and occasionally, other topics. To discuss a hand Gus Hanson played poorly, or even question how a player got to a final table when, is fine. That's not what I see go on with Duke. I see her physical appearance discussed, because that is so important when talking poker. I won't mention names, but there are some nasty, weird looking people who play poker. I think that because she posts on here, whether it is constructive or not, these immature pisants feel its their best chance to rip on the famous poker lady. In person, they wouldn't say a damn thing. They'd sit back, watch her, in awe. I've seen her play, and she knows what's she's doing. Watching the WPT and WSOP events, I see a lot of players, some very good players, make stupid comments, make stupid plays, act like jerks, be sore when they lose, and an ass when they win. Besides Hellmouth, who gets discussed here as being a jerk or has personal attacks against them? Fact is, people can think that Duke should be on here 24/7, defending herself, but there would be no point to it. None of the children would ever play against her, if not for anything, because they couldn't afford the buy-in. Plus, she'll have to defend herself against how many people? How bout people stop being so ridiculous? And hiding under this "people can say whatever they want, its their opinion" is bullshit too.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:15 AM

You are correct. However, many of the ad hominem attacks have had nothing to do with any of her behavior. There is a big difference between legitimate (even if debatable) criticism and making sexually loaded comments that have no place anywhere.

-Michael