Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Default A nano preflop decision

(Note: this post is primarily directed at the newer members of the forum, in an effort to spur a conversation about reads and table selection.)

So, I'm continuing a nano-limit 15BB challenge from yesterday. Having run through .02/.04 and .05/.10 in 53 hands, I stalled at .10/.20. Picked it up again today...sat down at this table and watched 3 hands before posting and getting the following:

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero ?

Reads: I haven't seen UTG do anything much. UTG+1 is short-stacked, and tilting at MP1 who's sucked out on him with crap a couple of hands in a row. UTG+1 capped the flop and turn last hand against 2 opponents with a really obvious gutshot.

Call, raise or fold, what do you do and why?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: A nano preflop decision

I'd call

As long as you aren't reraising, I think either calling or folding is fine.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call

As long as you aren't reraising, I think either calling or folding is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
(Note: this post is primarily directed at the newer members of the forum, in an effort to spur a conversation about reads and table selection.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You also forgot to give any sort of why...c'mon, Pedro, follow the rules, man.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 PM

You're getting better than 4:1 right now, and will certainly be better than 4:1 after UTG completes. Pretty easy call here. I don't think you can raise with this much action out of position, and I think folding is giving up too much.

It sucks if UTG caps, but we are suited, and we are getting a discount. And MP2 is bad and will likely help bloat the pot if you make a big draw
Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Is UTG a thinking player? If he is, he had to expect UTG+1 would do something crazy, so I would put his range of hands much stronger in that case.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is UTG a thinking player? If he is, he had to expect UTG+1 would do something crazy, so I would put his range of hands much stronger in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the OP for my read on UTG. To that I'll add, how many thinking players do you see at .10/.20 and what does that make your "default" player?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:52 PM

So if I read this right, UTG+1 is staking off, MP1 seems loose, and UTG hasn't done anything extraordinary one way or another but then again we haven't seen a lot of hands from him either.

I was going to say fold, but I think I'm leaning to call after running pokerstove. It's still churning but if we expect a cap, and put UTG on TT+, AQs+, AQo+, and assign random to both the UTG+1 and MP1, then if my math is correct we're getting around 4:1 not counting our bb which is a little over what pokerstove currently says our equity would be. It's close, and if it was my skill postflop I'd be more inclined to fold, but w/bozlax playing I'd call.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Pre-preflop decision [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]: Stop playing nanos [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Preflop decision: Probably call (call if it was a 3-bet cap preflop). You will get 5:1 if it isn't capped and you are roughly 5:1 to flop something good. Add in the times that you flop someone a little less good and you can probably call here (assuming you play well and they play not as well). If you knew a cap was coming, you would fold. If you are unsure it might be best to fold, but I would still call and play poker.

Edit - It depends how short UTG+1 is. Fold if he only has a few bets left and call if he has a decent but less then 12 bb amount.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Fold? I dunno, however you split it, preflop is a close decision.